Your first computer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by efraz, Mar 6, 2012.

1. efraz

efraz

Mine was a "Tiny" (brand) 486 DX2, running Windows 95.

It must have been about 1996/7 and involved lots of playing Lemmings and Cyberia!

efraz, Mar 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. efraz

Kemical

For me it was a 'Clive Sinclair' Special.. A ZX81.. Truly awful but kept us entertained for hours..

Kemical, Mar 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. efraz

Ian Administrator

Spectrum 48k for me - oh how I loved that machine! Even got the 128k +2 and +3 in the following years, which provided years of fun.

The first PC was an Olivetti 8086 :).

Ian, Mar 6, 2012
  4. efraz

agoodwriter

I don't remember the name of my first computer, but it was laptop where the display was a colorless. It was pretty strange computer, even internet did not work in it.

agoodwriter, Apr 9, 2012
  5. efraz

Victor Leigh

My first computer had a 6502 microprocessor. It had 16Kb ram, used cassette tapes as storage media and c/pm as an operating system. The monitor was the same one that you see in hospitals being used to monitor heart beats.

Victor Leigh, May 4, 2012
  6. efraz

davehc

ZX80, built from a kit, which I then converted to the ZX81. With the sudden inflow of models, around then, apart from the experience, this was a waste of time. As there was an offer to upgrade to the "QL" this was my next. A total disaster, very buggy and with software output compatible to nix! Slight diversion, for my son, to the commodore - great gamer by standards then. Then came what we are more familiar with today - the IBM PC. My memory fails, but I think it ran on 256Kbs of memory. No multi tasking, but you could buy word processors and spreadsheets which worked fine. (Wordstar was my choice.)
    Used CP/M for starters(8Bit). This was "snatched by a young gentleman and became his success story - Bill Gates. I then moved on to DOS.

davehc, May 4, 2012
  7. efraz

cluckis

The first computer I can remember was a Windows 95 shared with my family (Our family didn't get a computer right away). The first computer that I privately owned was my Dell Studio, which is the laptop now running 8. Now I mostly use my MacBook Pro, iPad, and the Dell Studio for windows 8.

The guy at the store when we got the 95 said, "1GB of space will be enough for a generation", Well, that's changed.

cluckis, May 6, 2012
  8. efraz

clifford (c_c)

Don't you just love sales techniques? Changed is a mild word when you think about applications like Nero and Office needing 1GB a piece to install. And for installing games, I can see needing on average 1GB to 4GB with each game installed. This is not to mention the 20GB to 40GB that Windows needs after being completely setup for each users needs.

I've tried keeping my Win7 OS partition size set at 30GB. I have been forced to change my Windows 7 OS partition size from 30GB to 50GB. No matter how how much regular cleaning was done, Windows 7 seemed to gain disk space with each Windows Update.

clifford, May 6, 2012
  9. efraz

Victor Leigh

Remember how Windows used to have a 640Kb limit? I read somewhere that when Bill Gates wrote MSDos, the ram used was 64Kb, so he figured that setting the limit at 10 times that would be more than enough. It just shows the attitude of the person, doesn't it? Why can't he just set it as unlimited from the very beginning? If I remember rightly, Mac doesn't have this kind of limit.

Victor Leigh, May 7, 2012
  10. efraz

davehc

Lot of wheeling and dealing around that time. I am an admirer of what Gates did for the world, but, unfortunately, he cannot take credit for writing DOS. But he can take credit for being able to see the potential of the system. Ditto when he saw Xerox/windows in use

davehc, May 7, 2012
  11. efraz

TheMightyEddy

My first computer was actually a Dell which was a desktop. It still works perfectly to be honest and I still use it occasionally.

TheMightyEddy, May 17, 2012
  12. efraz

Tchégéda

My first computer was created in 1997 with Windows 95. I had created this PC piece by piece "ASUS, AMD and ATI" and I had a screen Belinea.

Tchégéda, May 25, 2012
  13. efraz

Tully

My first home computer was a Radio Shack TRS 80.
    Had 2 (TWO) 51/4" floppy drives. Had a built in monitor

My first work computer was A PDP 8E. No monitor yet. Input & Output was by 8 binary switches for booting & punched tape for loading programs. Programs were in basic & the tape was punched on a "Friden Flexowriter" (made in Sweden"

Tully

Tully, Jun 11, 2012
  14. efraz

clifford (c_c)

Every time I hear someone mention punch cards, I wonder what it must have been like to work with them. They were a few years before my time.

clifford, Jun 11, 2012
  15. efraz

Victor Leigh

Think of it as having a whole box of credit cards which you have to swipe one by one until you finish the whole box of them before you can withdraw your money. That should give you some idea of what it was like.

Victor Leigh, Jun 12, 2012
  16. efraz

Tully

It is very seldom noted the history of computers in the "Space Race".
    This is what put computer design in "High Gear"

I was in the Machine Tool design industry at that time. We built the machines that made the parts for the missile program.

The accuracy required to make the parts were unheard of! 50 millionths of an inch in a Meter Cube. (notice the mix of inches & meters, it would haunt the program & cause the crash of some missiles.)

To make the required parts in the time & accuracy was impossible using traditional methods.
    Enter Computers & Computer Operated Machine Tools! They produced parts on-time & with required accuracy required.

Just calculating resonate frequencies of the Machine Tool Parts was almost impossible to calculate with out a computer & the Basic Program. If the computer controller issued a command that would cause an oscillation in the machine tool, it could destroy the machine.

The tradition way of marking parts was for craftsmen to make one part by hand. If it did not work or if more than one was needed, missed deadline. With computers parts could be made to any specifications in any number. If a change had to be made it could be done in minutes!

At that time everything was done using ASCII 8 channel punched TAPE produced on a Friden Flexowriter. This typewriter punched the tape as you typed. It was invented for writing documents & letters & making many copies of them.

I have several patents on design features of these computerized machine tools!

Tully

That was a very exciting! & I was there!!

Tully, Jun 12, 2012
    clifford likes this.
  17. efraz

Ron

Mine was the Pentium 4 2.8 Gz..Needed it college that's why I was forced to buy it.

Ron, Sep 24, 2012
  18. efraz

midnightwarrior

Intel P60. I can't remember the make, but I remember it came with Windows 95!

midnightwarrior, Sep 26, 2012
  19. efraz

habibk20

My first computer was a Intel Pentium 200Mhz MMX with 540MB Hard drive and 16MB ram. and the CD drive was Creative Infra... The Girl used to talk in Creative Infra Software.... it used to be soo fun. it was back in 1996, and we used to work mostly in DOS and Windows 95.

habibk20, Sep 26, 2012
  20. efraz

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

An IBM XT, with a massive 20 Megabyte hard drive. It ran Windows 3.0. It was so slow that I could play Tetris on it until it reached maximum score of 30,000, after which it would roll over to zero, because due to lack of processing power the game never got so fast that I couldn't keep beating it.

Core, Sep 27, 2012
    habibk20 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question