Xbox One won't be getting the 12 GB RAM upgrade from 8 GB

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wowtgp, Aug 9, 2013.

1. wowtgp

wowtgp

The headline says it all. I was so ecstatic when Microsoft said that they are considering to upgrade the RAM of their next-gen system, but now they have decided to debunk it. Nevertheless, 8 GB should still be more than enough for next couple of years.

What do you say?

wowtgp, Aug 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wowtgp

vaibhav402

Seriously, 8GB RAM is more than enough for the console to last 8 years. Most games on PC use 1.5-2GB max of VRAM for the textures (at 1080p). Add in a couple of GBs more the Physics and AI. You still have well over 4GB RAM available for the OS and social features. 8GB Ram is fine. What they honestly need is to ditch the crap box Kinect and increase the GPU power in the console. GPU power is what is going to make the consoles last longer. If nothing, then just remove the Kinect from the bundle and lower the price. :D

vaibhav402, Aug 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. wowtgp

wowtgp

8 GB seems like it's going to be sufficient for next 8 years, but believe me, it won't.

wowtgp, Aug 22, 2013
  4. wowtgp

MorgUK

I thought they were going to increase the speed of the RAM, not the size? Anyhow, 8GB is plenty, just a shame it's not GDDR5 :)

MorgUK, Aug 28, 2013
  5. wowtgp

wowtgp

They have increased the CPU capabilities at the very last moment though. It's upped to 1.75 GHZ from 1.6 GHZ.

wowtgp, Sep 5, 2013
  6. wowtgp

MorgUK

Meh! Won't make much of a difference and PS4 will still be a good bit more powerful! Can't wait to play on either console though :)

MorgUK, Sep 5, 2013
  7. wowtgp

themarting

8gb is WAY more than enough for pure gaming, but may start to show its age for other applications, especially multitasking, after 8 years.

Consider the xbox 360 is getting GTA V and Battlefield 4, and can run it, even if not as nicely as a pc can. The xbox 360 has 512mb of RAM, HALF A GIG.

I also agree that the SPEED of the ram is more important than the AMOUNT of ram

themarting, Oct 23, 2013
  8. wowtgp

MorgUK

That's the thing, right now 8GB is plenty, and more than enough.. but in 7-8 years or however long it takes for the next console to come out, it might be a laughable amount. Like right now the PS3 has 512mb I think, that's a joke but It still looks pretty good! I'm pretty sure the guys know what they're doing though at Microsoft and Playstation, 8GB will be fine!

MorgUK, Oct 29, 2013
  9. wowtgp

themarting

I can only imagine what kind of awesome graphics the xbox one and ps4 will be capable near the end of their life cycle. if we have games like battlefield 4, sky rim, gta V, on 512 megabytes of ram, imagine what they can do with 8gb of ram!

themarting, Oct 30, 2013
  10. wowtgp

orz

8GB of RAM might sound like a lot but isn't only some of it usable? I know with the PS4 nearly half of the RAM is used by the system and operating system.

orz, Nov 17, 2013
  11. wowtgp

themarting

from wikipedia:
    "It was reported that 3 GB of RAM will be reserved for the operating system and apps, leaving 5 GB for games."

So the 5gb ram is for video games but they dont go into detail on if that will be considered VRAM or ram for processes too. 5gb VRAM is ALOT. The benefit of this is you can load higher resolution textures which means you can play at higher resolutions or on more monitors, assuming the graphics core can also handle that.

themarting, Nov 17, 2013
  12. wowtgp

MorgUK

You don't need to imagine, just look at high end PC games now ;)

MorgUK, Nov 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question