Windows Updates Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Claudia Thompson, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Hello,

Lately I am having problems with my computer updating itself. I had to do a system restore. Then when it was updating, it just kept on and on going through the process, then saying there was a failure to configure the updates and starting over again. This went on for hours. I really didn't think my computer would ever start again. I just looked again, at the Windows updates after it finally restarted and it says:

You are set to automatically install updates.
    No updates are available.
    Most recent check for updates -never.
    Updates were installed -never.

This is after I did a system restore and went through this entire process for hours to get it to finally do the updates and restart my computer.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thank you, Claudia

Claudia Thompson, Aug 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Claudia Thompson

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Not at all sure I can actually help, since problems with Windows Updates seems to be vast, varied and somewhat a mystery to most of us and fixing them can be hit or miss.
    Probably the first place to start would be to open Control Panel, and then the Programs and Features applet and click the link that says "Installed Updates"
    Under the heading "Microsoft Windows", are you seeing any updates as having been installed? Personally I'm showing 74 currently.
    And I suppose, one of the first things you might want to try is the native System File Checker.
    Open an administrative command prompt and type
    sfc /scannow
    hit enter and see what that produces.

Trouble, Aug 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

There is no link that says 'Installed Updates'. Which is weird since I think it just installed them this morning, finally. I am about 80% done with the scan part now, I will let you know what it comes up with.

4. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay here is what the scan came up with:

Windows Resources Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

When I try to look in this C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log I don't have a clue when to open it with. When I click on Notepad, it says Access is denied.

5. Claudia Thompson

Open another administrative command prompt and type
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    hit enter and see what that produces, you should see something like "the restore operation completed successfully" or words to that effect.
    reboot your machine
    then open another administrative command prompt and run the System File Checker again.
    sfc /scannow

Trouble, Aug 19, 2014
  6. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

If I do this is it going to do another system restore? Because I just did that yesterday and now I had to spend the day today downloading all my programs it deleted.

7. Claudia Thompson

davehc

Sorry to butt in, but "There is no link that says 'Installed Updates'. Which is weird since I think it just installed them this morning,"
    Are you saying yo do not have this?? very odd!
    Update.PNG

davehc, Aug 19, 2014
  8. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

OH wow I was looking the wrong place, no I DO have that link. Thanks davec

9. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

It says there are 15 updates installed.

But the problem is that now if I try to restart my computer or turn it off there is no restart to click, only an Update and Restart. So if I click that its going to take me through this entire 3 hour trip again where it will keep trying to update and then tell me its a failure again and again.

10. Claudia Thompson

Just a guess, but I suspect that not all the updates are failing more than likely just a couple. But it looks like a big deal because of the time involved.
    At this stage of the game it's likely that you're going to have to put up with it at least one more time and restart.
    After you get back to the Operating System loaded, go promptly to Windows Update in the Control Panel and run it yourself and see if that produces a list of "important" updates from which you can select one at a time.
    Did you run the command that I posted above to clean up the image and then re-run the System File Checker.

Trouble, Aug 19, 2014
  11. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I am doing the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth but it seems to be taking an awfully long time and not really doing anything at all. Just every now and then where my mouse is a little blue circle appears and just flashed for a second, but that's all.

Claudia Thompson, Aug 20, 2014
  12. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I have decided that I am going to take my computer to the place I bought it and have them fix it (again) since it is under warranty. I had a talk with the Manager and told him about it and he said if they can't get it fixed properly this time, they will give me a new computer, since I am still in the process of paying for it. Because I installed an update and finally it doesnt keep saying when I try to restart it, that I have to restart and install updates. But then I tried this troubleshooting thing and the disc cleanup tool. It stuck at Windows updates cleanup and would proceed no further. So I used a fix it tool that windows 8 online said to use. Then it says try the disc clean up again. Now when I go to Administrative Tools and click on the disc cleanup it doesn't even work. It does nothing. Si I tried restarting my computer twice this morning and every time I do, although it doesn't go through the update thing, it takes literally an hour to restart.Anyway I am sick of this and I am not going to do anything with it anymore, not even restart it. And in a few days they are sending somebody to pick up my computer and see if they can repair it.

But I really do appreciate all the help! Thank you.

13. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I am not sure about this but I think I may have discovered why I am having all these crazy windows updates problems.

I noticed that all of a sudden this thing keeps popping up like when I go to youtube and click on a video or whatever:

"Only secure content is displayed /Show all content"

I think perhaps if you don't leave the Security settings exactly as Windows 8 has it when you first install the program, that it flips out about it. Because I looked at the Recently installed updates that I couldn't get to install before, and a bunch of them are Security updates. But now that they installed, I am suddenly seeing this "Only secure content is displayed /Show all content" thing popping up, that I haven't seen in ages.

That's the thing about Windows 8, it is the most paranoid system when it comes to Security, like making you have to give a password every time you log in. I had it set where you don't have to sign in. And I think that any changes you make to the original settings, when it comes to Security, that it just flips out about it then it starts giving you troubles when its trying to update. Because it wants to send you all these Security updates and you are telling it you don't want them when you change your settings. If they give me a new computer or at least fix this one back to factory settings, I am going to leave everything just as it is, Security-wise... even if its a big pain. I will even put in my password every time I restart.

One thing that really upsets me is how Windows 8 will do things like just coming along and unpinning Internet Explorer from my taskbar. Especially when its automatically installed on the computer anyway. Seriously, what gives them to right to do that? Its so annoying. And they are always trying to force you to install Windows 8.1 if you have Windows 8. Stuff like that, I just hate it. They try to force you to do things you don't want to do. But I have to have Windows 8 or else it voids my warranty. I also hate how its always trying to get 'permissions' for me to do things on my own computer. Its so ridiculous! Its this Security stuff that is causing all the problems with Windows 8, I just know it. Unless you keep it just however THEY want it to be, then it will give you problems. Its totally bizarre. This is my own personal computer and I don't want to have to be forced to type in a password just to be able to restart my computer. Ugh! I guess this is the future of computers, they will force us to have our computer however THEY want it to be. I cannot even use half the software I used to have like my html editor and other things, because Windows 8 has decided they are "incompatible". So soon they probably will have it where you have to use whatever programs THEY decide that they want you to use. I have had to buy new software just for this computer because of Windows 8. It is just SO frustrating. I just want to be able to use my computer without all these ridiculous problems.

14. Claudia Thompson

I hear and even understand your frustration but..... times marches on.
    As virus and malware creators become more advanced and prolific and since many users won't or can's seem to help themselves, the Operating System has to adapt.
    It seems that Microsoft has thrown in some bits and pieces here and there which, while they may be frustrating, do provide a modicum of actual help in this regard.
    Hang in there and I certainly hope that vendor will be able to help you set things right with your computer again.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Aug 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question