Windows Update failure

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 10, 2013.

1. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

I got an HP Envy X2 the other day.

Here's my problem: I can't update windows. Whenever I try to run windows update it just fails. Each time with a different error, though most of them seem to say I have connection issues. But I have perfect connectivity!

I think I really need to do an update, because I have quite a few bugs still, especially with logging in.

Anybody have any advice as to how I can fix this update problem?

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Windows Update problems / failures are legion and are frequently due to issues outside the general scope of a forum such as this. However:
    Having said that, perhaps you may want to try the "Windows Update, Automated Troubleshooter", and see if that may help with your problem. Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues and click the Run Now button you'll see there.
    On that same page there are some additional links you may want to have a look at also.

Trouble, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

The Automated Troubleshooter is one of the first things I tried. It says that it "fixed" the two problems (Potential Windows Update Database Error and Windows Update components must be repaired), but as soon as I try to run the update again it just fails again. Error 80072F78.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 10, 2013
  4. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Please check and confirm that your date and time and regional settings are correct and accurate.

Trouble, May 10, 2013
  5. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Trouble, May 10, 2013
  6. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Well another windows update came after this one, and that seems to have fixed everything right up!

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 22, 2013
  7. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

I might have spoken too soon... Now I have another 168mb of updates that just stall on 45%, then fail.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 25, 2013
  8. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

davehc

Try installing them, say, six at a time, instead of all at once

davehc, May 25, 2013
  9. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

ksam911

Have you troubleshooted at the frequently asked questions at the windows website? If so i'm not sure if you have a geek squad nearby. If you do I would ask them if they have any knowledge of it off the bat. Do not turn in your laptop with them right away, so they don't charge you an arm and a leg for a relatively easy fix.

ksam911, May 28, 2013
  10. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Thing is, I'm the IT tech lol. But it seems another BIOS update solved the problem. HP has its own updating software, and once that picked up a newer BIOS version and updated to that, all my troubles seem to be solved.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, Jun 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question