Windows Media Center Deactivates Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dipsy

Dipsy

Spotted the MS offer for a free install of Media Center and decided to give it a try. Requested a key from MS as instructed and received it in an email. Followed install instructions and everything worked, until I discovered my legit copy of Win8 had been deactivated. I keep getting nag screens to activate but it doesn't work and gives error message that Windows can't activate right now, try later or contact Microsoft. Anybody else run into this problem?

Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Dipsy

jubbly

Very odd. Did you clean install or upgrade?

I got the free media centre and had no problems at all installing and activating.

jubbly, Dec 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Dipsy

Dipsy

I just installed per instructions. Swiped in from right side, search, add features etc., and entered key.

Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012
  4. Dipsy

davehc

Click "activate" again and you should be OK.

davehc, Dec 17, 2012
  5. Dipsy

Dipsy

I've tried it many times yesterday and today and it won't activate. I may end up having to call MS tomorrow.

Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012
  6. Dipsy

davehc

Under the circumstances, if you don't have a backup or image, that is your wisest option, I'm afraid.

davehc, Dec 17, 2012
  7. Dipsy

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Try this:
    Open REGEDIT.
    Adjust following key: MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0"
    in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
    Open Command Prompt as Admin.
    slmgr /rearm
    Reboot computer.
    Run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Core, Dec 17, 2012
  8. Dipsy

Dipsy

Was just on the phone for an hour with a most pleasant young man in India. I gave him control of my machine and he finally gave up and is elevating the situation to a level 2 tech.

Core. I'll give your recommendation a try since the tech didn't go into the registry. Not sure which key to try though, the original Win8 or the key that I got with the Media Center install.

Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012
  9. Dipsy

Dipsy

Just received a call from a level 2 tech in India before I was able to try the other fix. I gave him control of my computer to see what was going on but he too was not able to fix anything. He advised trying a repair install rather than a clean install to minimize chances of a catastrophic problem. He will call me in a couple of days but if anything surfaces before then he will call or email me. He did admit that this is a known issue that has just came up in the last couple of days and they are working hard to find a fix.

I'm impressed with the Microsoft help team and their efforts to get this thing resolved. Both individuals I talked to were very friendly and pleasant. If anyone is considering installing Media Center I'd wait a few days to see what they come up with or risk a problem with your system.

Dipsy, Dec 17, 2012
  10. Dipsy

davehc

I have read of the glitch, throughout the web.
    Odd business really. To date, I have installed it on 14 clients machines without hitch.
    Your telephone conversation was a little of key also. Normally they give you another key over the phone, which works.?

davehc, Dec 18, 2012
  11. Dipsy

Dipsy

I decided to try a repair with my Win8 CD thinking it would keep all of my programs and settings. Wrong. I'm back up and running with an activated Windows 8 sans Media Center, but in the process all of my programs were wiped out. Not a big deal since I don't have a lot installed anyway but a bit time consuming which again is not a big deal since I'm retired. At least I have a fresh install and it's activated.

Dipsy, Dec 18, 2012
  12. Dipsy

Dipsy

Activation glitch appears to be fixed. Received a call back from the level 2 tech in India (nice fellow named Sushil Kumar) and tried the install again. It was quick, went well, and when finished Windows 8 was activated. It's still free and should be fixed so if you need a media player might as well give it a try.

Dipsy, Dec 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question