Windows keeps lowering VLC volume in Volume Mixer

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Core, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Windows keeps lowering the volume of VLC down to about 20%. This appears to happen quite randomly, but I assume there is something triggering it. I have VLC playing a video in a screen, and I am browsing the web (Facebook, Gmail, the usual stuff) and all of a sudden Windows drops the application's volume in the Volume Mixer. This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Core, Oct 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

Ian Administrator

Have you got any communication devices plugged in to your PC - i.e. a USB headset, mic, etc..? I remember in Windows 7 (and I assume similar in 8) that there was a setting in the "Communications" tab of the sound control panel applet that can reduce the volume by 80% when comms activity is detected. Perhaps it's something related to that, as it ties in with the 80/20 volume reduction?

Ian, Oct 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

No, just regular speakers, and USB dongles for the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Core, Oct 2, 2012
  4. Core

davehc

I have a separate (realtek) sound system, but, I wonder if it could be this function in the Windows default sound:

View attachment 112

Attached Files:

davehc, Oct 2, 2012
    Core likes this.
  5. Core

That's a good tip. I don't have any communications devices attached, but that's not to say that can't be the problem. I'll give that a go, thanks!

Core, Oct 2, 2012
  6. Core

lucasbytegenius

Coming off of the communication devices angle, I've found that Skype will do this to you as well even if you're not talking to anybody.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 2, 2012
  7. Core

Malcolm McCurry

I was having the same problem. Under Communications, I turned the When WIndows detects communication activity: to Do Nothing. Hasn't happened since.

Malcolm McCurry, Nov 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question