Window's Defender

Discussion in 'Security' started by RomanAnthonysMama, Sep 21, 2013.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMama

I know I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to technology, but I was wondering if Window's Defender is a legit anti-virus program? My dad always uses it to scan and wipe his computer free of viruses, but if it's really an efficient software, then why do people have to buy more enhanced and secure anti-virus software? It also looks eerily similar to a virus I once got, so it kind of makes me hesitant to use it.

RomanAnthonysMama, Sep 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. RomanAnthonysMama

davidhk129

You have already read the other post regarding Windows Defender in windows 8.
    So, I won't bore you with repititon.

However, on the other post, you mentioned about your Dad's Vista computer. Perhaps you would want to pass this on to him.......
    The Windows Defender in Windows Vista and Windows 7 is NOT the same as the one in Windows 8.
    For Vista and Win 7 users.......Windows Defender is part of the operating system. It is good for detecting spywares only. It is not a complete app to catch everything, such as viruses, worms, trojans etc etc. That is why MSE ( Microsoft security essentials ) was introduced to Vista and 7 users.
    MSE is designed by MS to replace Windows Defender. But users will have to install it.
    You might want to check with your dad and see if he has a better AV installed. His windows defender is not quite enough for complete security protection. Malwarebytes is the best in the business. It is highly recommended.

For Win 8 users............. MSE is part of Windows 8 operating system, except that MS calls it Windows Defender. ( MS has this obsession in confusing people. This is just one of many examples.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    davidhk129, Sep 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question