Windows 8 with Windows Defender blocked 85% of malware thrown at it

Discussion in 'Security' started by Nibiru2012, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

SOURCE

Now this isn't me endorsing one brand of AV/IS versus another, just an interesting report is all. Another reason to install one of the top-rated security software programs available.

Read the reports in PDF format at: www.av-comparatives.org

Nibiru2012, Nov 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Nibiru2012

jubbly

I don't like defender to be honest. I have never trusted it and it uses far too much system resources.

I use AVG and I have never had a malware infection of any kind. I find that the people who have problems are really clueless. I see a lot of PCs where the user has 2 or 3 AV programs running simultaneously.

First thing I did on installing 8 was to disable defender and install AVG.

jubbly, Nov 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I respect your opinion and if it works for you, then great. I have used AVG in the past with NO issues at all.

At the Windows 7 Forums website there was always "complaints" and "recommendations" about AVG. There was one former member, who will remain anonymous, that always recommended that using AVG was the MAIN cause of MOST Windows 7 BSODs occurring. When other forum members and the MODs would challenge him on that or provide proof to the contrary his response was that HE was the supreme BSOD analyst on the web and was "highly respected" on various Windows 7 forums. Well, several months later he was found to have been banned at all those other sites then got banned at the Windows 7 Forums site too. What a maroon!

One thing about AV and IS software is that a lot of users will bash or defend their choices quite strongly. So I don't want this thread to devolve into a MacLauglin Group-style discussion.
    A perfect example of "One man's hamburger is another man's sirloin." (paraphrased... to say the least! :rolleyes:)

I don't see any issues with say running Malwarebyte's AntiMalware software and another internet security program. You're right though I have seen several machines with 3 or more AV-IS programs running on them simultaneously.

Nibiru2012, Nov 22, 2012
  4. Nibiru2012

jubbly

What a maroon, indeed! :D

I have used windows 7 since 2009 and I don't think I have ever had a single BSOD.

What really annoys me about AV is the hapless people, often old, in PC World who you see being persuaded to part with £50 for an AV program and sometimes another £80 for Office too and they have no idea you can get AVG and openoffice.

I actually stepped in on one occasion when I saw a Currrys salesperson telling some poor sod that their TV picture would be rubbish unless they bought a £40 HDMI cable. :mad:

jubbly, Nov 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question