Windows 8 & UEFI

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Hyunkeru, May 5, 2015.

1. Hyunkeru

Hyunkeru

I'm trying to create an USB with all the various versions of Windows 8 and 8.1, I don't know if it's possible find the iso though. I have to reinstall Windows 8 and 8.1 all the time at work. Correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know to do clean installation using UEFI mode. The product key embedded in the BIOS will check the installation media, if it matches the edition. It will not ask for the product key and activate the Windows itself whenever it connected to Internet. After countless hours of googling I still have no clue how to tell the exact edition by looking at the computer or the embedded product key. As first I thought Windows 8 only have core, pro and enterprise, but I'm wrong, not to motion the N edition. There are Single language, with Bing, with WMC, etc... I always have to try using Windows 8 disc first, then Windows 8.1. If both don't work and I will switch to legacy mode and hope the embedded key will activate.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Hyunkeru, May 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Hyunkeru

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Might I suggest that once you have configured an install like you want it, you might consider creating a system image on an external resource and then instead of re-installing Windows you can simply recover the system image.
    Check C:\Windows\System32\license.rtf (or in some rare cases license.txt) that should tell you what you have installed.
    If you have issues with your install media, with respect to either UEFI or GPT or both then I would suggest using something like Rufus to prepare such installation media onto a USB Thumb Drive.
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/
    A brief explanation / how to here
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...patible-bootable-usb-installer-for-windows-8/

Trouble, May 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Hyunkeru

Hyunkeru

As I said before I have to do clean installation (hard drive replacement or windows corruption). I have both Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 original DVD and USB drive. We are getting different model of computers, there is no way to create system image for all of them. If possible I just want to know if there any way I can find the correspond version of Windows by the ACPI Table or something.

Hyunkeru, May 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question