Windows 8 to boot in 8 seconds

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Becky, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Becky

Becky

It has been revealed recently that Windows 8 will boot in just 8 seconds, getting closer to the instant-on boot times of tablet computers. RegHardware have released an article on this feature:

You can read the full article here.

Seeing is believing, so here's a clip to demonstrate just how fast it is.

Becky, Sep 9, 2011
    DIgital Doctor and clifford like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

clifford (c_c)

Showing Windows 7 boot time on the same hardware would have been nice.

In a sense comparing hibernation to (insert name of the new power off state here).

BTW, what is the name of this new power off state?

clifford, Sep 9, 2011
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Becky

As far as I know there is no new name given to it as such. The MSDN blog has further detail - Gabe Aul describes it as "a hybrid of traditional cold boot and resuming from hibernate":

Becky, Sep 12, 2011
  4. Becky

Ace

Windows 8 actually has potential for 128 bit architecture. That means it will be able to deal with binary data at the amount of 2 times that of a 64 bit OS. In binary we have 1 and 0 represented as things like true and false, on and off, etc... Each bit is a binary value of that, which I like to call an instruction. Handling twice the amount of instructions will make Windows 8 functionality a lot better for performance. Windows 9 for sure if it doesn't happen in a Windows 8 build.

Although my Windows 7 already boots in around 8-10 seconds :)

Ace, Sep 13, 2011
  5. Becky

davehc

"Although my Windows 7 already boots in around 8-10 seconds "

That's remarkable. You have SSD? Best I have ever got is 45 seconds. My bios on my stationaries , takes more than 8 seconds. Laptops not much better.But, on my fastest machine, fully optimised, it takes about 25 seconds from the initiation of the boot menu. I must say, although I see and use quite a few other computers, I havn't yet seen anything significantly better than that.

davehc, Sep 13, 2011
  6. Becky

Ace

I have a fairly decent hard drive which partially helps, i've disables a few options in my BIOS including the POST mem tests, and i've done a few boot file modifications and even lowered their filesize with my hex editor

on a cold boot though sometimes it takes around 20-30 seconds depending on how long it takes my AV program to do a boot test/scan

Ace, Sep 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question