Windows 8 - the 'lock out' fight continues

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Becky, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Becky

Becky

Both professionals and enthusiasts alike have been voicing their concern regarding the default security feature which will make it very difficult to run an alternative operating system on hardware already pre-loaded with Windows 8.

Matthew Garrett, a Red Hat engineer, has stated the following in a recent blog post:

You can read the full blog post here. Further articles are available to read on IT Pro, The Register, and Tech News World.

Microsoft's side of the story is available to read on the MSDN Blog.

Becky, Sep 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

clifford (c_c)

Perfect reason to boycott Windows 8. This alone has potential for killing Windows 8.

clifford, Sep 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Thrax

It won't kill anything. OEMs will happily ship millions and millions of Windows 8 PCs, Microsoft will get their money, and everyone will mostly be happy.

Of course, this maneuver only applies to OEM systems. And only OEM systems. And only OEMs that opt in. And only OEMs that opt in and equip their PC with the more expensive UEFI system.

...see how this might be a non-issue?

Thrax, Sep 27, 2011
  4. Becky

clifford (c_c)

Since you put it that way, I sure do and hope you are right.

Now if I could just wrap my head around the benefits of this idea.

clifford, Sep 27, 2011
  5. Becky

Thrax

The big benefit is that it could stop rootkits, and other malware that can start with the boot process (before any security software has a chance to respond), dead in their tracks for OEM PCs. Not a bad deal for the millions of help-I-can't-handle-my-PC-if-it's-more-complicated-than-a-toaster people.

Thrax, Sep 27, 2011
    clifford likes this.
  6. Becky

Kougar Moderator

If OEMs want to use the Windows 8 logo they have to opt in... it's free money in their pocket and free marketing to the buyer that the system comes with Windows 8. So I don't think there is any question OEMs will include the key in their systems.

Keep in mind that any motherboard vender like ASUS, Gigabyte, or any other will include a UEFI setting to disable Secure Booting. It would kill their business if they didn't and their competition did. The only real question is if OEMs will bother with the trouble to include the option to disable it in their own OEM systems (most OEM bios functions are extremely limited to keep them locked out)... some may not even want to. Regardless, Linux users will know pretty quickly which OEMs are linux friendly and which to avoid, and if they build their own system it won't be an issue anyway.

As Thrax said, the benefits for this are huge and it is seriously needed in order to cut down rootkits and boot viruses, and while the solution isn't perfect the number of potentially affected users is pretty darn small.

Kougar, Sep 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question