Windows 8 Start Screen - What's all the fuss about?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eaglesgift, Jan 27, 2014.

1. eaglesgift

eaglesgift

I must admit that it took me a few days to get used to Windows 8 but I really do not understand why so many people are still moaning about the start screen in Windows 8 and installing 3rd party tools to get the old start button back.

When using the start button menu in Windows 7, it was never possible to interact with the desktop at the same time so functionally there is no difference between using the new start screen and the old start button. Furthermore, it is quicker to press the Windows button in Windows 8 and start typing in a program name until it appears in a list than it would be to click the start button in Windows 7 and choose a program from the menu.

I know that my comments are sure to be unpopular with some users but I am bored of listening to people complaining about the Windows 8 start screen when it is so easy to use. If Microsoft never evolved their operating system, the same people would probably be complaining about a lack of innovation.

Is anybody else out there bored of reading about how difficult it is to adapt to Windows 8 when they know full well how easy it is?

eaglesgift, Jan 27, 2014
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. eaglesgift

davehc

I have marked your post as liked. If you browse, you will find quite a few posts on the subject. I was going to move your post to an already created thread, but had a second thought that it would be more appropriate, and get more attention, as a new thread.
    The moaning goes on, have just read yet another blog, today, regarding the "Failure" of Windows 8. Really was an extreme case of "give a dog a bad name"

By the way - Welcome to the forum.

davehc, Jan 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. eaglesgift

eaglesgift

I did notice some other threads in a similar vein but I wanted to vent my frustration in a thread all of my own - thank you for not amalgamating me (!) and for the welcome. Windows 8 has actually made me a more proficient user as previously I used to navigate the start menu every time I wanted to start a new application, even though I knew I could type the name in the search box at the bottom. I'm not quite sure why I did that but I have stopped doing it since I upgraded to Windows 8.

I like the design of the start screen but when I am working on the desktop I hardly even see it to be honest. If I want to open notepad, for example, I will just hit the Windows button type in "no" and press enter - and I'm back on the desktop with Notepad open before I notice that I ever left. I also like the additional functionality for multiple monitor set-ups that has been added with the 8.1 update. Now I can work on the desktop on one monitor, with the start screen (or a Windows 8 app) open on another.

eaglesgift, Jan 27, 2014
  4. eaglesgift

davehc

davehc, Jan 27, 2014
  5. eaglesgift

davidhk129

Each to his wants, needs and preferences.
    What is trivial to you can be important to others. They are not you, and vice versa.
    Don't judge.
    You have the absolute privilege not to read those types of complaints.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    davidhk129, Jan 27, 2014
  6. eaglesgift

eaglesgift

I don't wish to be confrontational but every time somebody reads and replies to a post, they have to exercise their judgement and whilst we all have the privilege of not reading posts with which we disagree, forums would be a dull place if the only time we posted was to agree with somebody else's opinion.

I understand that everybody has their own preferences but I feel that in the case of Windows 8, many of the more common complaints are driven by media hype rather than genuine issues with the operating system. Change is rarely popular and it takes some people longer than others to accept.

Why not tell me what aspects of Windows 8 are important to you? Do you like the OS? Are you a regular user? If you've already covered these issues in other threads then please accept my apologies. I am a new member and I have only had time to read a small portion of the site so far.

eaglesgift, Jan 28, 2014
    davehc likes this.
  7. eaglesgift

davidhk129

No need to apologize. You are entitled to your opinion and you have every right to express it.

As much as you are tired of listening to people complaining about the lack of Start Menu, I am just as tired of hearing people saying " it's a new learning curve. Deal with it."
    I have a high school alumni who is a retired college professor. I couldn't teach her how to do system restore even if my life depended on it. Her favourite defense, " back then there were no computer classes in college.".
    Some prefer to keep what they are comfortable with, and either have no time, or are unwilling, or even unable to learn the wonderful world of computers.
    They want Start Menu, let them have Start Menu. Plenty of them available in the market. It's their choice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    davidhk129, Jan 28, 2014
  8. eaglesgift

Trellum

I must admit I'm a former windows 8 hater, it all started when I got to use that Os for a short period of time. I hated the start screen, but now that I have to use windows 8 full time, I must admit isn't bad at all. So yeah, can't understand what all that fus is about.

Trellum, Feb 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question