Windows 8 Start Menu & Start Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Becky, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Becky

Becky

The most recent two blog entries from Microsoft take a critical look at Start Menus of the past and discuss what could be done to improve the operation. The Start Menu is such a well known part of Windows that a new method of navigation is likely to be met with resistance - hence their detailed explanation of why they feel it is a step-forward.

The new 'Start Screen' is (in a way) an expansion of the old Start Menu, but with more flexibility to customise it as you see fit. Microsoft do not view this as a replacement, but rather a vast improvement.

You can read the full blog entries here:

Evolving the Start Menu
    Designing the Start Screen

Becky, Oct 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

yodap

It sure sounds like the beginning of the end of the Start Menu as we know it. I'm a task-bar guy any way, but maybe they could just make the SM more customizable or interesting for the non office worker/everyday user.

yodap, Oct 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Kougar Moderator

I read the blog but when all was said and done, it didn't actually answer any questions I originally had. They mention the importance of allowing users to disable or revert features, but don't say if they included it in case users prefer the Windows 7 start menu.

I rather disliked how programs and shortcuts get pinned to the taskbar, so I still use a quicklaunch bar and old-style text-buttons for running applications. I'm a bit worried about what they're going to change, but as long as I can modify it to how I can most smoothly use the interface then they can do what they want. ;)

Kougar, Oct 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question