Windows 8 Start Button

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by mike244, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mike244

mike244

I'm a new Windows 8 user and I'm trying to make the start button work the way that Windows 7 does, is that possible? When I click on the desktop tile, clicking the start button just returns me to the green tile screen again. I want to see the old start menu so I can launch things just by typing a few letters.

Is there a way to get this back?

mike244, Sep 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. mike244

Thrax

Open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. Change the value of RPEnabled to 2.

Thrax, Sep 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. mike244

davehc

Isn.t that "change to 1" ?

What I did,mike, if you have the space, is created two users. One with the mod and one without. Log in and log out takes a very few seconds. You can also go to Windows - System32, and rename shsxs.dll to something else (shsxs1.dll ?) which will do the same thing. Make a copy of the file somewhere else - just in case!

But you should be able to double click on the button and launch the application

davehc, Sep 26, 2011
  4. mike244

Thrax

Changing it to 2 will disable Metro but leave the new task manager and ribbon UI.

Thrax, Sep 27, 2011
    Elmer BeFuddled likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question