Windows 8 Spell Check Disabled

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Ian, May 10, 2013.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

This problem has been frustrating me for the last few days, as it worked until very recently!

An example would be typing this message in IE10 - previously any spelling errors would be underlined in the familiar red wavy line.

I've not altered any settings and I've checked that the "highlight misspelt words" setting is enabled within PC Settings > General.

Any thoughts on what else I can check?

Ian, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hey Ian.
    First off, do you have any Windows Updates pending. Seems historically it was a problem briefly but then a subsequent Update from Microsoft seems to have fixed it.
    Additionally can you confirm that it works in neither IE 10 version (desktop nor Metro / Modern)
    And can you test with another user account to see if the issue is solely with your profile. Perhaps creating a new local account.

Trouble, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks for the reply trouble :).

I'm fully up-to-date with Windows Update, I've just double checked now and there are no updates available as of today.

Interestingly, it does appear to work in the Metro version of IE10 - just not the desktop version. The autocorrect of misspelt works setting works fine (although I normally disable that).

I'll create another user account later on today and see if this persists.

Ian, May 13, 2013
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

It looks like creating a new user profile did the trick. It looks like the easiest thing for the time being may be to migrate to this new username!

Ian, May 13, 2013
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Hmmm...

Just before I was about to move everything over to a new account, I tried uninstalling the KB2770917 update as I read another user with the same problem had some success with this... would you believe it, the spell check is now working. :D

I hope it remains this way once the update is reapplied.

Ian, May 13, 2013
  6. Ian

Curiouser and curiouser.... I recently went through an issue with being unable to change my Picture Password or, once I removed it creating a new one. Kept getting an "Enrollment Failure" error. (there was a failure during the enrollment process, please try again later). Unlike seemingly thousands of other people on the iNet having similar problems, I could create, remove and recreate a PIN, just not a picture password, same issue everytime when I clicked choose a picture.
    So I thought about applying a recent image, doing a clean install, etc., etc., but I just sort of forgot about it and used my four digit PIN instead. And then somehow after about a week or so it miraculously fixed itself.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that Windows 8 sometimes develops little quirks after a protracted period of time. Seems to work great for a long time and then little annoyances seem to pop up from here or there for no apparent or easily explainable reason. I'm relatively certain that it has nothing to do with what I call "third party software poisoning" as I can never associate any installations close to the event issue.
    Oh well, just another fun thing associated with playing in Bill's sandbox.

Trouble, May 13, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

davehc

I have been following this thread, but had little to offer. But it is an intriguing story!
    But have a look here, Ian
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2782531

Some detailed info on that update. The only item I can see though, which might have a connection, is that it improves some faults in the search engine. The spelling check would, I imagine, be in a search engine?.
    But, another link, and one which has, on occasion, given me some problems, is the Nalpeiron licensing service (NLS in the services.). I have sometimes had minor problems searching on Web pages. This, particularly, in reference to Troubles problem. Disabling and reenabling the service has solved the problem each time No idea why, nor has MS, on enquiring.
    Bu, I can see that the particular update to which you referred, was an accumulative update. I wonder if it had a confliction with one of thos in the package, which you had already installed.
    Trouble's last para.: I am convinced there is a weakness in the update program. I have not personally had any bad experience, that I am aware of, with them, but I read of many who have.

Just an update.

here is another very interesting page, Ian.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7/0eb475f0-142e-4f1f-8aa3-7ade8d297dc6?page=6

By the way. You may not find the NLS on your computer. It is automatically installed, if the particular software manufacturer is using it to protect his licencing.

davehc, May 14, 2013
    Trouble and Ian like this.
  8. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I've re-installed the update, restarted and all seems well so far :)

I did a check for "Nalpeiron Licensing Service", but couldn't see anything listed. I wish I could have pinned this one down, but I imagine it would take days to narrow it down to a particular file/upgrade process.

Ian, May 14, 2013
  9. Ian

Thanks for your comment Dave. It's just that, not only have I had my own personal issues with these tiny annoyances but I've gone through a couple with some friends and family. Like just the other day a friend had his NetFlix (metro) App just stop working out of the blue.

Trouble, May 14, 2013
  10. Ian

davidhk129

I know this is an "old" thread, and I would not have found it if I were not searching for a specific "old" thread.

Regarding Spell Check being mysteriously disabled...........
    Spell Check is done by IE10. Check the IE10 spell check setting.
    *** not applicable to IE11 ***
    Open IE10 > Tools > Manage add-ons > left panel, select Spelling Correction > at the bottom left, check the box " Enable Spelling Correction" > Close.

davidhk129, Dec 2, 2013
  11. Ian

MyDigitalpoint

I was wondering about the same. My spellchecker was disabled and now I see why.

Thanks for pointing us at the right direction ;)

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question