Windows 8 Refresh and Reset features

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by blackfalcon, Apr 5, 2013.

1. blackfalcon

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Frankly, I am surprised this needs explaining. The Technet page for the trial is quite specific about what you can use the software for, and for how long. Not for personal use, and not beyond 90 days. In this case, a home user is circumventing its built-in cutoff timer in order to keep using the trial beyond the time frame he agreed to by downloading it, so as to not have to purchase a legitimate copy of Windows 8. I have not seen any documentation from Microsoft's part - the actual publisher of the product - laying out the rearm procedure for the purpose of extending the Enterprise Evaluation. It's not the same as torrenting a copy with WGA disabled, but it is nonetheless unauthorised and the end result is the same.

Core, Apr 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. blackfalcon

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

The end result is that you get to use a trial / evaluation version of the software slightly longer which might allow you to make a better, more informed opinion as to whether or not to make the leap and purchase the product. Believe me, if it was not at least tacitly supported by Microsoft, there would be DMCA take down notices flying everywhere. It is not everyone's intent to circumvent EULAs or otherwise deprive software author's from their earnings and making a deserved profit. Some people, quite innocently just need a little more time to make up their mind.
    I've done it myself with other software products like Acrobat. Grabbed their free trial, installed it and then didn't get around to actually using it until after the trial had expired. I wish I would have know how to rearm it.... not to steal from Adobe, but to evaluate their software properly. It's an expensive product and deciding to spend the money or not can take some time.

Trouble, Apr 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question