Windows 8 Refresh and Reset features

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by blackfalcon, Apr 5, 2013.

1. blackfalcon

blackfalcon

I've been using windows 8 since the RC version came out and I can say I have no complaints what so ever. I was particularly excited when I read about the two features I'm mentioning in the title. The prospect of never going through the dreaded and boring format procedure made me smile.

Yet all these are just hypothetical, I've read articles, I've seen them in my menus, but as of yet I have never used them. So I turn to you fellow windows 8 users.

Have you used any or both those features? Do they work as promised? Are they as cool as they sound?

Please don't wreck my dreams :p

blackfalcon, Apr 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. blackfalcon

Jacknot3d

I don't know what do you refer to refresh and reset features, can you explain better?

Jacknot3d, Apr 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. blackfalcon

MedicAlert

MedicAlert, Apr 7, 2013
  4. blackfalcon

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Neither of them require the original installation media, but one of them wipes personal data and the other does not, if I recall. I only use the more extreme one, for complete reinstalls. I have been very, very happy with this feature. A quick way to start over should you need to for some reason.

Core, Apr 7, 2013
  5. blackfalcon

MedicAlert

So, does Win 8 have some sort of "spare" .iso image or such to just reformat the Windows 8 Partition w/o any external media? Is it an updated version of Windows Recovery/System Restore?

MedicAlert, Apr 7, 2013
  6. blackfalcon

davehc

I have not used either, as I prefer my own recovery methods. But, I am almost certain that, except if you upgrade to Windows 8 from Upgrade Assistant, you would need your original installation media in order to complete a refresh. But Core appears to have used, and had, a different experience.

davehc, Apr 8, 2013
  7. blackfalcon

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Actually it has and uses something called an install.wim file (Windows IMage).
    And you might want to take some time and read this article, regarding creating, registering and setting your custom .wim to be used during the "Refresh" method. I did attempt to use this method a couple times during the previews (developers, release and consumer) without much success. Have not experimented since RTM. http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/create-custom-refresh-point-in-windows-8-with-recimg-tool/
    I am not much for Microsoft's native solutions for backup and recovery (imaging). And choose to use Acronis as my software of choice.

Trouble, Apr 8, 2013
  8. blackfalcon

davehc

The first two posters. As I said , I do not use it, so can only outline the method(s) I do not have a backup/.wim file on my computer.
    1. Open the Charms bar and selct settings.
    2. Select "Change PC settings"
    3. Open the "general", entry
    4, Scroll down and you will find the refresh and reset(remove) items

another slightly different way. to safeguard your OS.
    . Either through the Charms, or the legacy desktop,
    1: Open the Control Panel
    2. Select "windows 7 file recovery."
    3. Select restore.
    If you do not find an image, in the same window you can create one before disaster strikes.

The alternative which I suggested, far more thorough and efficient, is to make an image with a third part program. There are a couple of excellent free ones. Like Trouble, I regularly use Acronis. It has never failed me, but must be paid for.

davehc, Apr 8, 2013
  9. blackfalcon

MedicAlert

Ah. Thanks for the clear up. Seems like a nifty feature that might come in handy once and while!

MedicAlert, Apr 9, 2013
  10. blackfalcon

I'll be more specific as to what I meant by "complete reinstall". It doesn't allow you to repartition, it just returns the Windows 8 installation to its bare-bones, just-installed state, in other words to how it would be had you just run the installation and before you create any users for the machine. It does erase everything on the OS partition. My OS partition = the whole SSD, so I don't know if other partitions on the drive are affected.

I have never used to other refresh option that saves your documents etc. I guess the only reason to use it would be some driver issue causing serious BSODs and lacking additional drives or media on which to save documents.

Mostly, though, I do my reinstallations of Windows 8 using the DVD I burned of the .iso I got when I bought the Windows 8 Upgrade. I use it for clean installs. You don't have to have a previous Windows installation on the drive for it to work*, but in order to get it to activate you have to do a couple of extra steps on the command line or in the registry, which you can Google for.

*This has been my experience with my upgrade media, your mileage/skills/luck may vary.

Core, Apr 9, 2013
  11. blackfalcon

Victor Leigh

Wait, I have just thought of something. What happens to all the authentication and validation which we have done before? Does the complete re-install mean exactly the same thing as when we do it from a cd or usb? Like really reformat the entire partition and leave no trace of Windows or any trace of its previous life on our hard drive.

Victor Leigh, Apr 14, 2013
  12. blackfalcon

The activation/validation is unaffected, but the drive is formatted and thus all "previous life" is lost. You can also opt for a more time-consuming format option which will ensure your old data cannot be (easily) recovered even using data recovery tools.

You can read Microsoft's own description of these features and the differences among them from here.

Core, Apr 14, 2013
  13. blackfalcon

Victor Leigh

Hmmm, I have just read the information in that link but it didn't tell me what I wanted to know. You see, I am using Windows 8 Enterprise which comes with a 90-day evaluation period. So what I really wants to know is whether a reset or refresh will turn the counter back and start with a fresh 90-day evaluation period again.

Victor Leigh, Apr 14, 2013
  14. blackfalcon

That's a good question, but my best guess is probably not. I don't suspect that either a refresh or a reset would likely extend your evaluation trial. However:
    You may want to Google something like slmgr /rearm and see what you might be able to find that may help.

Trouble, Apr 15, 2013
  15. blackfalcon

Victor Leigh

Slmgr? Rearm? I am afraid this is the first time I have heard of these two terms. Give me some idea about what they do, please.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
  16. blackfalcon

17. blackfalcon

Victor Leigh

Thank you. My friend, Google, gave me some answers, too. I think I have found a way round that end of evaluation problem. I am going to install Windows Blue.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
  18. blackfalcon

Yet another article regarding extending the evaluation / trial version of MS Office products using the rearm command.
    Read more here

Trouble, Apr 16, 2013
  19. blackfalcon

Circumventing trial expiration takes us into the area of software piracy and therefore outside the purpose & purview of this forum.

Core, Apr 16, 2013
  20. blackfalcon

Do you really think, that if these techniques actually rose to the level of "software piracy", that they would actually be included natively by the software manufacturer? These methods have been around for ages and are not a closely held secret by a small group of hackers. They are native commands and not a product of third party developers and are widely known and used around the world.
    I've been Microsoft Certified since 1998 and acquired my first MCSE in 1999 and am about as far from a software pirate as one could possibly be and frankly a bit offended. But, I guess, .... respect your opinion?

Trouble, Apr 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question