Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Clean Install

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by allswl, Sep 12, 2012.

1. allswl

allswl

I am curious about Windows 8 and am considering trying it. Right now I have Windows 7 on every one of my Laptops. Windows 7 also me to easily clean install using the upgrade disc I have. From what I have seen it seems that Microsoft currently offers upgrades to 8 for a price through Jan 31 2013. Someone told me that if I use the upgrade the Windows 7 upgrade key I have will be invalidated and that would mean that I would be unable to go back.
    I want to know if this is true?Does a product key come with the upgrade? Will I be able to clean install?

allswl, Sep 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. allswl

brkkab123

Yes, Windows 8 come's with it's own product key.clean install I'm not sure on. Either way make a backup of your contacts. documents, emails, music, pictures, videos and saved games before any Windows 8 install and try the clean install. If it doesn't work, do a clean install of Windows 7 (no updates or anything) and then do a Windows 8 upgrade install.if needed..

brkkab123, Sep 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. allswl

habibk20

You will be able to do clean install as every window either FULL or Upgrade every product have its own personal key.

habibk20, Sep 14, 2012
  4. allswl

mahanddeem

Buy the upgrade from Microsoft store , get your serial number and ISO download , it'll ask after that if you would like to write the image to DVD or USB flash drive ...Choose what you like (I like fast install from USB) ... Boot from the media you chose and start installing (obviously if you format the boot partition you'll loose everything there,do a backup first)...

mahanddeem, Dec 19, 2012
  5. allswl

jubbly

Note: If you have xp and you download the upgrade then you will not get an option to save it as an ISO. In that situation you need to download it from another PC that has Vista or 7.

Also if you want 64 bit then the PC you download it on must be running a 64 bit OS.

Mad, but true.

jubbly, Dec 19, 2012
  6. allswl

benj0145

I am planning to do this as soon as my dvd appears in the post. Sounds like a ridiculous system, hopefully I can use the key and do a clean install from the official disc without any real issues! :/

benj0145, Jan 7, 2013
  7. allswl

jubbly

If it won't let you activate the clean install with the key then there is apparently a registry workaround that you can google for.

jubbly, Jan 7, 2013
  8. allswl

benj0145

I've since done this twice with 2 different keys on two different machines, the upgrade disc definately allows full clean installs with no prior verification of keys. You get a key with the software and it works just like a full version.

I just booted from the dvd, formatted and went to the advanced options on the install and no probs what so ever :)

benj0145, Jan 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question