Windows 8 Pro 32-bit won't install in an older computer

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by MisterRay97, Mar 26, 2013.

1. MisterRay97

MisterRay97

I have an old computer. The specifications are given below:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz
    2GB RAM
    128MB Integrated Intel HD Graphics
    500 GB HDD
    Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit

I have tried installing Windows 8 Pro (32-bit version) onto it, but it refuses when I boot the DVD saying that my PC is not compatible. I've checked the system requirements of Windows 8, and the PC pretty much meets the system requirements. Anything I've been missing out? I had installed Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (64-bit version) on my PC and laptop and they work fine. Any suggestions, please?

MisterRay97, Mar 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MisterRay97

davehc

The few specs you list conform with the basic requirements for Windows 8 Pro, 32 or 64Bit, although 2GBs, whilst being marginally low, would not be declared as incompatible.. But are you saying the same computer accepted 64Bit but not 32Bit?

davehc, Mar 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MisterRay97

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Just guessing but if you're getting some kind of message suggesting compatibility issues then it may be the dreaded nx bit problem.
    Google Windows 8 nx bit and peruse.
    You may have a BIOS option to enable it or you may be one of us less fortunate with an HP locked down BIOS with no option regarding NX or PAE
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Mar 26, 2013
  4. MisterRay97

MisterRay97

No, the computer is not compatible with 64-bit operating systems. I've tried putting my 64-bit disc, but it said that the computer is not compatible with 64-bit. I have also searched on Google. I've also checked the BIOS. It seems that my old PC isn't compatible with PAE and NX. So, I think it won't run anything beyond Windows XP SP3. Windows 8 works with my newer PC and newer laptop, though. Never mind, I'm happy with my Windows XP SP3 on my old PC. :)

MisterRay97, Mar 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question