Windows 8 Portable Workspace from Developer Preview

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by extool, Sep 15, 2011.

1. extool

extool

Is there a way to activate the Portable Workspace feature of Windows 8 from within the Developer Preview? I want to get Windows 8 running on my laptop without installing it and this appears to do that.

I can't see it anywhere in the developer preview?

extool, Sep 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. extool

Ian Administrator

It's now called "Windows To Go" and I've not seen a way to create a portable install in the Developer Preview. They handed out USB drives containing WTG at BUILD, so I'm sure there will be more info on this soon :).

Ian, Sep 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. extool

Ace

More information about what Ian was talking about can be found here: http://redmondmag.com/articles/2011/09/16/microsoft-unveils-windows-to-go-for-the-enterprise.aspx

It's an article about Windows 2 Go at the BUILD conference hosted by Microsoft. I don't have Windows 8 open right now. The USB keys given out were at a size of 32 GB, so i'm assuming you'd need at least half of that on a USB to run it decently (as a general computer use person). I'm sure extra space was given for the developers to create applications, or any kind of code they were working on and other things like that.

I have the 64 bit version with developer tools though which i'm running, and you may have to have that in order to use a USB bootable Windows 8 if they only give the necessary tools on that build version (from the developers preview set)

Either way I could be completely wrong, my knowledge on Windows 8, just like most others is probably limited right now. I spent the day today doing various things within my Virtualbox version though.

I'll open it later and see if I can find something out for you. I just noticed that all of those games and other unnecessary applications I had uninstalled from my start area are now back :( Why does Microsoft insist on making that area cluttered for me?

Ace, Sep 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question