Windows 8 only 64 bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikelbak, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Nikelbak

Nikelbak

I've read that windows 8 may only be x64 so older systems wont be able to use it. Is there any truth in that or will I be able to run it on my 32 bit computer?

Nikelbak, Feb 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Nikelbak

davehc

So far, I do not know of a Microsoft source that would confirm that. But, as I read it, by whatever means the surveys are taken, There are 75% of Windows 7 users, now with 64Bit. Microsoft obviously see a trend there. They also wish to tempt into the later OSs, the remaining (a large number!) of 32 Bit XP users. In view of that, I doubt they will drop the 32 Bit immediately.
    However, personal opinion. Many software companies are moving into 64 Bit programming. I see them dropping support for their 32 bit programs. If you wish to keep up with modern trends, it is commonsense to start thinking about 64 capable hardware. I reached into my pocket with the early introduction of Vista, and have never gone back to 32BIt

davehc, Feb 22, 2012
    Nikelbak likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Nikelbak

clifford (c_c)

I find it hard to believe that a Windows 8 OS built around touch-pad technology, would drop support for 32-bit hardware. If I am not badly mistaken, many of the devices that would benefit from Windows 8 touch-pad technology, are still only 32-bit capable.

This beg the question, if all our devices are 64-bit capable?

clifford, Feb 22, 2012
    Nikelbak likes this.
  4. Nikelbak

Ian Administrator

As Dave and Clifford have already mentioned, there's still a market for 32-bit software (16 bit has only just been phased out!), so it makes business sense to stick with it a little while longer. The Developer Preview was available as a 32-bit download, so I'd say it's almost 100% certain that Windows 8 will have a 32-bit version if needed.

Ian, Feb 22, 2012
    Nikelbak likes this.
  5. Nikelbak

Nikelbak

Is an ARM processor 32-bit, is that way they need to keep it this way? I read that it won't only be normal Intel or AMD processors that can use Windows 8 but new mobile ones.

Nikelbak, Feb 22, 2012
  6. Nikelbak

clifford (c_c)

I didn't know if ARM was still 32 bit when asked but I came across this article while reading another forum.

ARM goes 64-bit with new ARMv8 chip architecture

posted - October 27, 2011

clifford, Feb 26, 2012
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question