Windows 8 on the desktop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Ian, Apr 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Victor Leigh

Actually I don't mind the made-for-tablet interface. I look at it as an opportunity to test drive a tablet interface without having to buy a tablet. If I get used to it, I might consider getting a tablet.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

MichaelAllen

Nice article, I for one do think that it will be great for tablets and mobile devices but still have concerns for my desktop and laptop.

MichaelAllen, May 1, 2012
  4. Ian

davehc

In it's present form, (We still have to wait and see what we are offered fo a default desktop) , it is quite workable, for those who prefer the legacy style. But, doing that, loses the main boast of Windows 8, of course - touch screens). I am sure there are as many who agree as disagree but, for the private user, imo, I do not see enough advantages (assuming a desktop environment) to make the expenditure worthwhile. This view would be even more applicable to corporates, who have to contemplate changing multimonitors and purchasing the OS.

davehc, May 1, 2012
  5. Ian

Victor Leigh

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't make one Windows 8 version for tablets and one version for desktops. That would solve the problem immediately, wouldn't it?

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
    DallasDad likes this.
  6. Ian

Michael Phan

It seems as thought Microsoft created the desktop version of Windows 8 for those with All-in-One PCs, those in which have a multi-touch monitor. It makes sense to have the Metro UI on a touch screen computer but preferably tablets. Microsoft seems to view tablets as the most innovative way to use a computer. "Why use a mouse when you can use your finger?" Easy as 1,2,3. Tada... People are starting to like the feel of touch screen devices such as the iPad and iPhone. Microsoft seems to be taking that approach.

Michael Phan, Jun 14, 2012
  7. Ian

Octagon

I guess I know. I have a gadget that costs under $100 and plays nearly all my texts, music, and video. It is used either on the go, thus I have a bag with earphones, or not far from the main PC on a sofa. I am 95% satisfied with it, but to be 100% satisfied I need a tablet computer. Android or iOS system will not be good enough - too limiting to be called a computer, that things are still gadgets. The fact that they are great does not help - I already have a gadget.

A tablet running Linux or Windows will be OK, but Windows is better because I am a bit peaky about programs and almost all programs I consider to be best in class are either Windows native, Windows only, or nicely ported to Windows. Thus, Windows appears to be the only option. If Windows 8 did not run on both my desktop and would be tablet, I would either go for Linux or Android or not buy a tablet at all. I guess the tablet market will be eventually divided into two since the needs and preferences of tablet and phone people are incompatible with that of tablet and PC people. Microsoft looks like going for the latter.

I fully agree with the first statement, and I guess Microsoft makes a great mistake with the second one. It is very hard to draw with a finger. Drawing is a killer app for tablets, but so far no competitor have explained that to Microsoft. That is, the success of Idea Pads or Wacom tablets is insufficient.

Thus, there are 3 ways to use a computer - with mouse and keyboard, with fingers, and with a stylus (and either fingers or mouse or keyboard). The Microsoft design ignores the last one.

If somebody offers a reasonably priced tablet with good drawing support, I may withdraw my idea that Windows is the only option.

Octagon, Jun 17, 2012
  8. Ian

DallasDad

Exactly!
    They could easily have built W8 with an option to go with the mobile or the desktop interface, but instead they decided the desktop crowd wasn't worth it.
    MS was catering to the mobile device crowd while relegating desktop users to the status of second class citizens.

So I decided to relegate W8 to the status of second class citizen.......
    I just ordered a brand new desktop with W7! :p

DallasDad, Jul 27, 2012
  9. Ian

Victor Leigh

If I hadn't started playing with Windows 8, I would have probably found out more about Windows 7. As it is, I am already getting used to Windows 8. Kind of nifty to use mouse gestures like using a finger on a touch screen.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question