Windows 8 Notebook Installation Problems

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by AlanHo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. AlanHo

AlanHo

I have a Samsung Notepad model NP305U1A-A01UK running Windows 7 home premium which I decided to upgrade to Win 8. I went onto the MS site, paid my £24.99 and downloaded the installation assistant.

Part way into the installation it reported that there were 8 software items that were incompatible and provided an uninstall button against each one.
    These were : -
    Samsung Control centre
    Samsung recovery solution 5
    Samsung support centre 1
    WIDCOMM bluetooth software
    AMD Catalyst install manager
    ATI Catalyst control centre
    MS Security Essentials.

I clicked on the Samsung control centre button to uninstall it and at the end of the process received a message that the computer had to be re-booted to complete the uninstall - which I did.

On rebooting the computer, the install window for Windows 8 did not reappear so I waited forabout 15 minutes before trying another reboot - but yet again no Win 8 install window appreared.

I then decided - I know not why - to manually uninstall the list of incompatible programs and reboot the computer before trying to use the Windows 8 Install assistant again. On rebooting - the screen resolution had changed to 1024 x 1068 from the original 1366 x 768 and upon reloading the Win 8 installation assistant I got a message that Windows 8 could not be installed because the screen resolution was not accepted. Hence Winows 8 had asked me to uninstall some software that caused this problem.

I then decided to resore the computer using a full Acronis back-up I had taken as a precaution before downloading Win 8. Acronis loaded OK from the software on the hard drive, found the back up file on my USB external hard drive and then rebooted the computer to restore the system. However, the computer did not reboot and for almost 2 hoursdisplayed a black screen and a flashing cursor top right.

I have tried to manually boot the computer - but it will not respond and I still get the blank screen and flashing cursor.

F2 on boot up for settings shows the boot order as USB.......................N/A
    Hard drive spec is then listed.

(It is not possible to alter the N/A setting againt USB)

I have tried moving the hard drive to be the first in the boot order - but it has made no difference.

So my situation is :-

I have Samsung Notebook that will not boot

I have an Acronis system backup on a USB hard drive that I cannot access until the computer boots and I can load Acronis again

I have an emergency Acronis boot CD - actually for my desktop computer - but no means of using it on the Samsung Notebook which lacks a CD/DVD drive.

Help!!!!

AlanHo, Dec 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. AlanHo

jubbly

Do you have a recovery partition on the hard drive? Could you restore to factory settings then run acronis from the fresh install?

jubbly, Dec 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. AlanHo

jubbly

Meant to add, as a long shot, have you tried a different USB port? I can't fathom why your BIOS says n/a next to the USB boot option. Can you press f12 or f10 at boot to get a boot device menu?

jubbly, Dec 19, 2012
  4. AlanHo

AlanHo

I have tried F10 and F12 but the computer does not recognise either. There are only two options for the BIOS stated - F4 and F2

Pressing F4 for "Recovery" when booting produces the following message :-

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem :-
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart
    2. Choose language - click next
    3. Check "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc contact your system administrator

File : \boot\BCD
    Info : An error occurrred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Pressing F2 "Settings" opens a window with the following tabs :-

Sys Info : Date, SATA port 1, CPU vendor AMD, CPU speed etc
    Advanced ; Legacy USB support (enabled), EUFI boot support (disabled), AHCI mode control (auto), Battery life extension (disabled), USB charge in sleep mode (disabled)
    USB S3 wake-up (disabled) etc
    Security : Password settings etc
    Boot : Boot device priority, 1. SATA HDD, 2. USB key N/A 3. USB CD N/A 4. USB FDD N/A 5. USB HDD N/A network N/A

I recall that when loading Acronis to Restore the hard drive it stated that the restore could not be actioned without deleting the existing partitions on the hard drive - was this OK. And I clicked yes. It then rebooted the computer.

The backup I had taken was for the complete hard disc which had three partitions - the recovery partition, C: for programms and D: for data

I am concerned that Acronis deleted all 3 partitions before the reboot - hence there is possibly no longer a recovery partition on the drive. (It would have been restored by Acronis if the computer had booted OK)

I guess I am up the creek without a paddle.....or am I.

I phoned Microsoft support for their assistance and explained the saga. The technician went off the phone for a few minutes (they were paying for the call!!) to do some research and was surprised that it had asked to uninstall some software that asked for a reboot - because it is known that a reboot during that phase of the Win8 install would cause the install to fail. He wanted me to allow him to connect to the computer for him to do some checking - but I explained that I was then in the process of restoring the computer to get back to square one. He therefore promised to call again tomorow morning to let them remote connect to the computer to get it sorted. I am going to have to tell them the computer is dead. I was agreeably surprised at how responsive and helpful Microsoft were.

AlanHo, Dec 19, 2012
  5. AlanHo

AlanHo

I have solved my problem. A good nights sleep enable me to think straight.

I used my desktop computer to put Acronis onto a USB memory stick, set the notebook BIOS to boot from USB first, and the notebook recognised and booted into Acronis - which enabled me to restore the hard drive from the Acronis backup on an external USB hard drive.

Thanks for all you efforts guys - this is another step in my computer learning curve.

So I am back with Windows 7 - but I will leave the installation of Windows 8 until after I have done some more research.

AlanHo, Dec 20, 2012
  6. AlanHo

AlanHo

Just in case another forum member wishes to install Win8 on a Samsung Notebook - here is the next instalment.

I called Microsoft again and they remote connected to the Notebook and tried to instal Win8 again - but met the same problem that the installation could not continue because some Samsung software was not compatible. They asked me to contact Samsung and download the latest drivers, load them onto a USB memory stick and get back to them so they could try again.

I looked on the Samsung support site but all the software and drivers available were dated Dec 2011 and the same as already installed on the computer - so I phoned them.

I explained the problem in detail and their support technician guided me to a download called SW Update 2.1.5.30.zip which contains all the Samsung software for Windows 8. I asked him if I could install it now - on Windows 7 so that the Win8 install could go ahead unimpeded. He said NO, I first have to install Windows 8 and then install the new Samsung software.

I then explained once more that the Win8 install would not complete unless the Samsung software was compatible - hence it must be installed first.

He then understood the problem and has gone off to seek help from Samsung support elsewhere - promising to phone back when he has found a resolution.

AlanHo, Dec 20, 2012
  7. AlanHo

jubbly

Wow. I am glad you got your windows 7 installation back. This sounds like a major mess up on samsungs part.

Could you not simply uninstall all those samsung programs then install windows 8? Surely that would work?

jubbly, Dec 20, 2012
  8. AlanHo

AlanHo

If I uninstall the Samsung programs that Win8 installation insists on - for a start I lose the graphics driver and the screen resolution becomes too low. There are other problems but I have not been able to get far enough into the installation to get a prper handle on them because the installation fails at the screen resolution hurdle.

Samsung provided me with an amended BIOS firmware and software file today and had me reinstall Windows 7 from the original recovery partition which was supposed to resolve the problem. It hasn't. I now have a machine with just Windows 7 on and I now have to reinstall all my software. My data is on a separate partition so no problem with restoring that. I will be contacting Samsung and Microsoft again - but I will leave it until after the New Year.

I have decided to sit on the Windows 8 file for a while until the dust settles.

AlanHo, Dec 21, 2012
  9. AlanHo

Nibiru2012 Moderator

For starters, NEVER do an "upgrade" install of a new operating system on top of an existing one. All you're doing is asking for problems and troubles, believe me.

Most of the users that do this end up with loads of issues and slow responsiveness.

If you truly want Windows 8, then a "Clean or Custom" install is the universally recommended method, especially when going from one OS version to another.

You need to have ALL the current Windows 8 drivers downloaded and stored on a USB thumb drive or similar prior to installation. Be sure they're the drivers specific to your
    brand of notebook computer or match the chipsets residing on the motherboard.

If the notebook requires a BIOS firmware update to effectively run Windows 8, then be sure that's done prior to the install of Windows 8.

The drivers for the AMD Radeon Mobile graphics GPU are different in Windows 8 versus Windows 7, so be sure you have the latest version downloaded from the AMD website.

Nibiru2012, Dec 22, 2012
  10. AlanHo

AlanHo

I am more than aware that it is best to install a new OS on a clean drive rather than do an upgrade - but the offer of Windows 8 for just £24.99 is for an upgrade version which I am not aware you can use for a clean installation.

Yesterday Samsung Emailed me with details of a file to download that would facilitate the installation of Windows 8 but first I had to restore Windows 7 from the recovery partition so that there was just Windows 7 on the C: drive. They warned me to back up any data on the C: drive and that after installing Windows 8 on top of the "virgin" Windows 7 I would need to reinstall all my software. So I tried it. They were right - the new OS installed without a problem and I decided to familiarise myself with the new OS before re-installing my software and doing any proper work.

The experimental honeymoon lasted for 36 hours. During which I probably spent at least a third of it trying to conquer Windows 8. I finished up abandoning the use of the Metro tiled interface which is mind blowingly ghastly, and used the desktop one. However, the desktop one lacks a start button and easy access to programs etc - so I installed a third party start menu (Stardock Start8) which got me back to a standard Windows 7 desktop.

So I was then using a computer that looked and felt like Windows 7 but was definitely much quicker to boot up (45 seconds versus 97 seconds with Windows 7) and seemed slightly faster in use - but that could be a placebo effect.

The nails in the coffin were that the latest versions of Adobe Premier Elements 11 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 - which are claimed to work on Win8 - refused to install, throwing up an error message that there were files missing on the computer which were required for the installation - but there was no information to identify which was being referred to. This software had previously installed and run without problems on Windows 7.

I then ran into problems installing some Garmin sat-nav software and maps I use all the time in conjunction with my sat-nav.

I could find no way of uninstalling Windows 8 to get back to Windows 7 - so I again used Acronis to restore my computer back to where I came from.

My next time-filling project is to learn how to make a perfect pork pie - a favourite snack with crusty new bread, some pickles and a glass of red - followed by a couple of Bisodol tablets.

I joke not - I am fed up with the modern commercial ones - so I am going to have a go myself now that I have Windows 7 back again and I am able to download and print some recipes..

I saw a video and lots of other comments about Windows 8 way before I bought the upgrade. I honestly felt that people had to be wrong - Microsoft could not possibly do a version as poorly engineered and received as Windows ME was - but I was wrong.

Here is the video.

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation

AlanHo, Dec 22, 2012
  11. AlanHo

davehc

I am english. I miss my Pork pies and Yorkshire puddings!
    Last time I found a recipe for pork pies, you needed some kind of former for that beautiful round shape. Oh - and don't forget good old fashioned brawn.. I can buy it where I live but they have, by law, removed all those nasty unhygenic things that make it tasty. Oh heck. Breaking my own principles what has this got to do with Windows 8 - lol.

davehc, Dec 22, 2012
  12. AlanHo

jubbly

Windows 8 upgrade worked fine as a clean install for me. I then decided to test the windows 7 upgrade disc I got for my vista laptop....that too allows a clean install.

Strictly speaking, a clean install is against the EULA but it is doable and probably more stable.

As for pork pies, I love them but I am no expert. They must be jelly free for me. My current project of that nature is to make the perfect fry, like mcdonalds do. I am not far off.

I did laugh at your description of metro as "mind blowingly ghastly". :D

Are you going to try and get a refund for your £24.99?

jubbly, Dec 22, 2012
  13. AlanHo

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

If you like unusual foods that come with interesting digestive experiences, try a Casu Marzu.

Core, Dec 22, 2012
  14. AlanHo

jubbly

Just watched the video you posted, Alan. He makes some interesting points about how a UI should be.

I saw another video where the reviewer said that he often found himself calling the metro start page the "desktop". That really tells you how confusing and non-intuitive the interface is.

Also saw this comment on a video which probably puts it as succinctly as it needs to be put:

jubbly, Dec 22, 2012
  15. AlanHo

davehc

I must state that I have not yet used a tablet with Windows 8 installed, so cannot comment whether it is useful, or a waste of space.. But reflecting on the video. I didn,t watch it all, it seemed to be 100% orientated around the Metro and it use? common users who just wish to move on to the is next generation OS, can get a wrong impression from the video, which already has been widely circulated. Windows 8 is a dual OS, and designed as such. I continue to whine that MS smade a mistake by not putting in their own version of the old start menu. But is new users do not like the metro screen, for any reason, it is realtively simple to install one of the many third party start menus which by pass the metro screen. You then have the familiar desktop and can install all your old apps and never see the Metro screen again. Unfortunately, IMO, as I stted elsewhere, I cannot see that 4 years +/- of development from the time of Windows 7, has really resulted in any mind blowing improvement. There is, most certainly, a performance improvement, but no significant. The improved boot up speed does not interst me too much, as I only boot my computers once a day, somtimes less than that.
    On observation and inspection, particuarly with the boot up trick, I do think that quite a significant number of the "improvements", could have been put into Windows 7 quite some time ago with a service pack.

davehc, Dec 23, 2012
  16. AlanHo

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

In the end, it's all about money.

Core, Dec 23, 2012
  17. AlanHo

yos

yos, Mar 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question