Windows 8 Laptop Touchpad Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Epicfied, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Epicfied

Epicfied

I bought a Toshiba Laptop that came with Windows 8 on New Years Eve. Everything was working fine until late January. At first it was on and off, but now it's constant.

Problem:
    The mouse/touch pad on my laptop won't work. The cursor disappears completely and when I try to click or move, it won't show up.
    If it was previously working, the cursor will be there but won't move.

I've tried updating drivers. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver.
    I've tried finding a button that may have deactivated it.
    I googled the issue and it's common with Windows 8 laptops.

Note: Plugging in a USB mouse works but that doesn't solve the touch pad issue.

Epicfied, Feb 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Epicfied

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I am going to assume that, since you said "now it's constant", that no amount of rebooting or testing in safe mode or any other jumping through hoops method will cause it to start working again.
    So assuming that you haven't used any method to specifically disable the device either in device manager or through the software that actually supports the device (driver and configuration package), I'm going to guess that it is likely a physical / hardware problem with the device.
    My immediate suggestion is to return it (the laptop) to the vendor or manufacturer for repair. Although they will likely recommend that you first reset the computer to its' factory default settings by using their image file on the recovery partition. So the first thing you should likely do is backup any important personal data before contacting them to start a trouble ticket.
    If it worked at all I might suspect a power management issue, which you could check in the properties of the device in device manager under the power management tab if such a thing exists or perhaps within either the power management options in the control panel, which may be either native windows 8 or something proprietary from the laptop manufacturer. In either case you might look for something specific to the touchpad or even perhaps USB settings, USB selective suspend setting and try setting it to disabled. But if it just flat out doesn't ever work at all, then it's likely a physical issue with the device itself either with the interface cable or the associated logic board.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Epicfied

Epicfied

By constant, I'm meaning it happens every time. Every once in a while it'll work for a few minutes, but that's it.
    Should I try reformatting before contacting the company for repairs?

The touchpad nor the buttons work. I'm not sure if it's technical or physical.. I just know by research that it happens a lot in Windows 8 laptops.
    Thanks.

Epicfied, Feb 23, 2013
  4. Epicfied

Epicfied

One thing I forgot to mention was while it was charging.
    For example, right now after using my USB mouse for a while, I unplugged the USB mouse and plugged in my charger, my touch pad is working.
    I'm not sure why, but it does this occasionally, I'm surprised it's working.

Epicfied, Feb 24, 2013
  5. Epicfied

That question would be better answered by you.
    Depends on so many variables but probably boils down to time.... Time in the sense of data recovery from backups, reinstalling programs that you need, etc.,
    But if it was mine, and after I tried a system restore to a point in time prior to the problem first occurring, if the problem persisted then I would definitely consider doing something along those lines. Check your system documentation or online resources as to how a factory refresh of the machine might be accomplished.
    There is of course the Windows 8 options of Refresh and or Reset, but since the first will leave you in the same place with respect to your installed programs and the second will leave you in the same place with respect to your programs and data and either or both are short of getting you back to pristine factory settings, I might fore-go those options. As I said, those options are your decision to make and "format C:\" is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Only an option of absolute last resort.
    So I guess it depends in the end on, where your head is at and how much more time you wish to expend on this problem, which now that you say is not actually "constant" and is less likely an actual hardware problem. While some hardware issues can present as intermittent for various reasons (heat / temperatures, bad cable termination points being two), generally you can count on them being pretty reliable and "constant" even the intermittent ones after a while.
    You may want to add system imaging to your tool box. It'd be nice to have one right about now that was both reasonably recent and free of problems just to shortcut the process just a bit.
    Not that it would help in the event of an actual hardware problem, just help the diagnostic process some.

Trouble, Feb 24, 2013
  6. Epicfied

Again, this is sounding more like some sort of power saving feature someplace, rather than any kind of hardware problem. Especially if that specific behavior is consistent and reliably reproducible, otherwise it could be just another happy coincidence.
    Your initial post seemed to suggest that everything worked without problems, out of the box for some period of time from New Years Eve until sometime in January. Assuming you didn't mean January 1st, then it may very well be a piece of software that you have installed since that time or a piece of hardware (midi keyboard, pen / tablet, etc.,) they may be causing a problem. Very difficult to even make an educated guess.

Trouble, Feb 24, 2013
  7. Epicfied

Epicfied

I'm trying to give you as much information as possible, but I'm not sure what all you need to know.
    It was mid to late January that I started having issues.
    At first, it was only every now and then. Now, it's happening more often than not.
    Last night I was shocked that it even worked for while it did.

Epicfied, Feb 24, 2013
  8. Epicfied

Jessi

Is there any chance you can just return it and get a new one?

I'm all for doing your own repairs and diagnosing instead of sending them off whenever you can. You haven't had it very long at all, though, and you're already running into problems that aren't easily fixed yet. If it's still that new, then maybe you should just get a new one and cut your time losses.

Jessi, Feb 25, 2013
  9. Epicfied

Epicfied

I'm assuming insurance of some sort should cover it... I thought about it, but I really haven't had extra time to ship it or anything.
    Any suggestions on how to go abut it?

Epicfied, Mar 9, 2013
  10. Epicfied

Jessi

Do you have insurance on it? Or a warranty? If you have any paperwork on it, just look for a number to call and find out what the process is through them. They all have different rules and they're probably going to make you go through some of the same troubleshooting steps first to determine that it's actually a hardware issue.

Jessi, Mar 11, 2013
  11. Epicfied

Epicfied

I should but I honestly don't know. I'll look though.
    It's been working fine since about the time I posted this. I don't know what I did, but whatever it was worked.
    If it happens again, I'll definitely call.

Epicfied, Mar 16, 2013
  12. Epicfied

Jessi

I'm glad it's been working since then.

You should probably check into your warranty options anyway, just in case, though. If something goes wrong and you put it off, then you're going to end up screwed. Been there, had my laptop break just a couple days after the year warranty warn out and it cost me several hundred bucks to fix out of pocket. :(

Jessi, Mar 16, 2013
  13. Epicfied

Epicfied

I definitely will because I don't want to get screwed over... I know it can get quite expensive.

Epicfied, Mar 28, 2013
  14. Epicfied

hannah

I know this sounds crazy but the same thing happened to me and I searched Google are and wide for the answer to my problem, then I finally found a useful answer. This guy said to push the f5 key. I pushed it and bam. My mouse pad worked again!

hannah, Nov 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question