Windows 8 Installation Help Needed

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by brkkab123, Feb 13, 2012.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

I'm getting ready to install Windows 8 Builder's Preview on my pc and I have a dual-boot setup question I need help with tonight. I've got Windows 7 on my OCZ Vertex 3 120gb. Max IOPS ssd. I also have 2 WD Caviar Black 1.0gb. 32mb. cache mechanical hard drive'sin my pc. The 1st one is in 2partitions. One partition has Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Favorites and Searches. The other partition has my games on it. The 2nd Caviar Black is now being shrunk by 100gbs. for Windows 8. The first partition on that drive has Music, Pictures, Recorded TV and Videos.
    If I start the install process of Windows 8 from inside Windows 7, will it automatically setup the dual-boot sytem or do I need to download anything else to do that ? I already have Windows 8's iso burnt on a dvd disk.

brkkab123, Feb 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

davehc

Quick answer - NO. If you try to install from within another OS, it does not give the options for where to install. You must burn the ISO to a dvd, as I see you have already done, and boot/install from there. It will, then, give you a dual boot with its new Boot manager. There should not be any confliction, but the multi boot is easily sorted out afterwards.
    But. I think you mean the Windows 8 developer release?
    If so, by all means prepare your partition, but wait another two weeks. It is strongly indicated that the Windows 8 Beta will be available for public download, at the end of the month.
    Tip. Give the new partition, which you have ready for Windows 8, a name (Win8?). This will help you to more easily idenify it when you start the install.

davehc, Feb 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

brkkab123

Actually, I tried doing a Custom Install from inside Windows 7 and I did get some error message. Figured, what the heck and booted from Windows 8 Dev. Prev. dvd and installed it to the partition I made and it did set up the dual-boot. I hope the beta's are better than the dev. preview. It's idiotic on a desktop pc in alot of area's so far. 1. Having to lift the Startup photo with your mouse to get to your login screen is stupid, especially considering the startup screen looks better than the login screen. They should combine both screen's into one.2. It's also incredibly stupid how the only way to get a start menu, is to download a 3rd party app to get it. Didn't they say Windows 8 was going to be for tablet's, desktop pc's, notebook's and netbook's ? From what I've seen so far, it's a complete tablet o.s. Desktop's most notebook's and all netbook's don't have touch-screen's, so removing the start menu was really stupidAs far as the Metro ui, it look's better on my xbox 360, than it does in Windows 8. Then If you use one of the program's to get the Start menu back, the only area with transparency is the taskbar MSE get's error message's in it trying to update.

brkkab123, Feb 13, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  4. brkkab123

davehc

At this stage, with the Beta imminent, except for evil self abuse, there is little point in hacking the developer release. But we still keep on -lol!

davehc, Feb 13, 2012
  5. brkkab123

brkkab123

If they don't improve it in alot of various area's, I won't be wasting my money on it. I'll stick with 7. 7's graphic's, so far are alot better. I've got a feeling, if MS doesn't change certain area's of it, that it's going to turn out be beME, Vista. all over again Especially in the software area. Not all the various software companie's are going to change how they write/code software, just for Microsoft. I mean quard-core cpu's have been out for at least 3-4 year's now. Where's the majority of software that utilizes them ? Nowhere to be found other than games or graphic's. Now we have 6 and 8 core cpu's out. By the time the majority of software catches up to them, they'll probably 128 bit o.s.'s and40+ core cpu's

brkkab123, Feb 13, 2012
  6. brkkab123

davehc

". Not all the various software companie's are going to change how they write/code software, just for Microsoft. I mean quard-core cpu's have been out for at least 3-4 year's now. Where's the majority of software that utilizes them ?"

Well, imho, most software companies do, in fact, write for Microsoft/Windows. As with Vista, if they don't want to get off their butts and keep up to date, it is the mutual loss of both MS and the third parties. CPU improvem,ents are, of course, a seperate problem between the third parties and the manufacturers.
    Fwiw. Windows has recognised 4 core since XP sp2.

davehc, Feb 13, 2012
  7. brkkab123

brkkab123

Good point Dave. I've been aware of that. That's the point I was kind of making. The majority of software companies need to realize that it's 2012, not 1995-1999 and pay attention to the various o.s. and hardware capabilitie's available. They then need to code their software to take advantage of the hardware's capabilitie's.They basically need to realize that we're in the 2nd decade of the20th century, not the last decade of the 19th century. They're holding the industry back with their way of doing thing's.

brkkab123, Feb 13, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  8. brkkab123

timflan

Hi. I have the same question about how to install from a flash drive. From the flash drive I created from within original setup when given the choice to install on different partition, what's next? Run setup from flash drive? Boot manager? I tried restarting with flash drive installed but it just booted up to regular Win 7 home premium. Thanks.

timflan, Feb 29, 2012
  9. brkkab123

brkkab123

Actually the Consumer Preview is the beta. Microsoft stopped calling it beta. They released it this morning. Does Windows 8 have MSE built in? Reason I ask, when I tried the Build version, it never stated that I didn't have antivirus software in it. That time time around I had my D: drive in 2 partitions and hat Windows 8 by itself with nothing but Firefox.

brkkab123, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question