Windows 8 Freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by CalamityJohn, Feb 18, 2013.

1. CalamityJohn

CalamityJohn

Hello,

I've bought a new Dell desktop that came with Windows 8. It's the first time I've used this software. Previously, I used Windows XP and Windows 7, which both worked well.

I used the Wizard to import my settings from my old computer to the new one. All of my documents are now working, but I get a problem where everything on the computer "freezes" when I use it. It didn't happen when I first installed my applications, but now it does it if I use my computer long enough.

How can I start fixing this? Any assistance would be appreciated.

CalamityJohn, Feb 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. CalamityJohn

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums John :). I'm sure we can get your problem sorted!

Just a few quick questions first off - do you notice this happening at random intervals or does it happen when you use a specific app? Does the mouse still move? If you leave the PC for 10 mins, is it still frozen?

Ian, Feb 18, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. CalamityJohn

CalamityJohn

It happens without warning and I can be using any application (or indeed nothing). I have left it alone on several occasions, but I can't recall the computer springing back to life again. The mouse doesn't move, it is like looking at a "screenshot" of the moment it froze.

I have been using my computer for approx. 20 minutes so far without a crash, but I suspect I will be rebooting soon...

CalamityJohn, Feb 20, 2013
  4. CalamityJohn

Ian Administrator

It may be worth seeing if you've got any crashdumps and if so, try posting them in the BSOD section for analysis. There's a how-to thread here: https://www.win8forums.com/threads/bsod-posting-instructions.199/

If that is clean, things I'd check would be:
    • Make sure your drivers are all up to date. Graphics, Chipset and Network drivers seem to be the most problematic for this sort of problem in my experience - so perhaps start with those ones :).
    • Run MemTest to make sure all is OK with your RAM (although this would normally cause a BSOD and not a "freeze").
    • Check memory timings, perhaps update BIOS.
    If you can post your system specs that may be able to give us more clues. Which AV are you using?

Ian, Feb 22, 2013
  5. CalamityJohn

davehc

As You have imported your settings from another computer, I would put particular emphasis on Ian's first (Drivers). Have a run down the items in the Device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamations etc.

davehc, Feb 22, 2013
  6. CalamityJohn

CalamityJohn

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

I uninstalled my graphics drivers and then performed an install of the nvidia set from the support section of their website. So far I haven't had a problem with a crash (it has been 24 hours)... let us hope this is fixed! I also removed the networking card drivers, but they were auto-installed on reboot, so I guess there's a chance it could be that.

Hurrah!

CalamityJohn, Feb 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question