Windows 8: First hated, but now love?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MorgUK, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MorgUK

MorgUK

Has anyone installed Windows 8 and really hated it, but out of laziness decided to keep it on, and now love it? I know my friend wasn't too fussed at all, but now he says how much quicker you can get about the OS by using the corners etc. Has anyone else had this same experience?

MorgUK, Nov 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MorgUK

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Me..... and I suspect, quite a few others if they'll admit it. Although "hated it" might be a bit strong.

Trouble, Nov 1, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MorgUK

davehc

I,m a moron and a nerd. I loved it from first installation. lol

davehc, Nov 1, 2013
  4. MorgUK

Charlie.L

I love it at first~~haha
    Don't you think it is colorful??

BTW, could you tell me how to make a new topic in this froum?
    i'm a freshman and i just want to ask some questions.....
    THX!!

Charlie.L, Nov 2, 2013
  5. MorgUK

themarting

I never HATED it, and i dont quite LOVE it yet. However I take it more seriously would probably be the best description I could give.

Yes its more mainstream and caters to "app" people, but its also still a powerful windows OS underneath it all. If anything, its more powerful and more stable than Windows 7!

themarting, Nov 7, 2013
  6. MorgUK

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

If you go to the root of the forum https://www.win8forums.com/
    You'll see a list of general areas to select from.
    Select, as best you can an area that fits your particular question.
    Near the top you'll see a button (link) "Post new thread".
    Just click that, give your question a subject and have at it.

Trouble, Nov 7, 2013
  7. MorgUK

Charlie.L

Yep~~I see it~~and I've already posted a new thread~~thank you very much~~~~;):D

Charlie.L, Nov 8, 2013
  8. MorgUK

MyDigitalpoint

I am one of those persons who hated Windows 8 to death and now I'm so in love with it.

Since before it was released, I devoted time to criticize it based on what I was reading about specs, performance and the like, and recalling the Windows Vista fiasco.

When I had no other option to buy a new computer and this came with Windows 8 pre-installed, my first thought was find a way to downgrade it as I did with the one that came with Vista, but since the early moment that I turned it on, I was impressed by the new operating system.

Of course I will not downgrade and I'm really more happy with Windows 8 that I ever thought I would.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 8, 2013
  9. MorgUK

airplayne

I was leery of it at first and never considered upgrading my existing pc to it, but then I bought a laptop with it installed and have come to appreciate it, even though I find it is a bit striped down. I am glad they kept compatibility mode so I am able to install games I used to run on XP. I still won't upgrade my desktop pc to it, but will stick with it on my laptop. Still not sure if I will upgrade that to 8.1.

airplayne, Nov 8, 2013
  10. MorgUK

davehc

Consider. Windows 8.1 upgrade is free. From forum reading, it seems that many have made a mess of it. I have installed quite a few, now, for colleagues, without incident.
    If you take the precaution of making an image of you present installation, just for the possibility of an error, there is no practical reason not to upgrade

davehc, Nov 9, 2013
  11. MorgUK

themarting

dave you seem pretty comfortable with the process of upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8. I dont meant to derail the thread but, do you know of a workaround for the "user folder moved to another partition" issue?

themarting, Nov 11, 2013
  12. MorgUK

davehc

I think I know to what you refer(?) But, perhaps you should start another thread and get more into it.

davehc, Nov 12, 2013
  13. MorgUK

themarting

themarting, Nov 12, 2013
  14. MorgUK

strych923

This is what exactly happened to me after I installed Windows 8 for the first time. I installed and uninstalled it for four times before I finally decided to stick with it, and that was a very good decision indeed. I use an SSD and I am loving every bit of Windows 8. No bugs whatsoever for me.

strych923, Nov 14, 2013
  15. MorgUK

orz

I wasn't too keen on it but got it fairly cheaply when it launched and just stuck with it. Its not amazing but I do prefer it over Windows 7 so I'm glad I made the upgrade.

orz, Nov 17, 2013
  16. MorgUK

MorgUK

I think I'll give it a go on my work laptop, I only need it for basic tasks so as long as it doesn't crash I'll be able to put up with it :)

MorgUK, Nov 26, 2013
  17. MorgUK

Dipsy

Count me as one of the original haters. Aside from a sleep mode problem I'm trying to get a handle on, Windows 8.1 is performing just fine and I have no intention of ever going back to Windows 7. I'm finding my way around now and if I run into something unknown I can always get some help here. I think all the negative press coverage was/is responsible for a lot of people not giving Windows 8 a fair trial (I think that is what influenced me at first). I'll not admit to loving Windows 8.1 but I will say I find it useable and have no reason to remove it.

Dipsy, Nov 26, 2013
  18. MorgUK

MyDigitalpoint

What it's truly funny to me besides being a former hater, is that I have not tried to change anything as opposed to previous operating systems.

Usually I used to disable the firewall, change the energy options, stop the sleeping mode, and unload from memory useless or not used programs, among other tweaks.

Today I have not changed anything and I leave the DVD/camera/and multimedia software in RAM despite I don't really use any of this on a regular day.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 27, 2013
  19. MorgUK

Thatnewguy

I had a pretty bad experience with my prior laptop. I had to bring it in for repair 5 times before they finally gave me a new one. The prior laptop was running windows 7 and I loved it. After looking at some of the laptops on display at the store, all running windows 8, I felt I was downgrading in a way. I really did not think I would like it.

Fast forward a month and the installation of a start menu, I have to say I don't think I would go back to windows 7. I have come to like the use of the corners and the way you can search the entire system with a simple keyboard shortcut. Everything just seems a lot snappier and programs seem to run a little better.(May just be my laptop). I'm quite impressed with windows 8 and I would recommenced it to anyone.

Thatnewguy, Dec 5, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  20. MorgUK

MorgUK

How are people finding using it with a touchscreen? I've never liked the idea of laptops having a touchscreen due to finger marks everywhere and the screen not being that rigid.

MorgUK, Dec 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question