Windows 8 Designed Mainly for Touch Screen Devices?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RomanAnthonysMama, Jul 25, 2013.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMama

Hey everyone! I read somewhere in this forum that in the new and improved version of Windows 8, there will be more capabilities for those who use touchscreen devices. However, I remember when Windows 8 first came out, everyone was talking about how Windows 8 worked way better on touchscreen devices, and that it was mainly designed to be compatible with them in the first place. I believed it, and still kind of do, because my tablet is waaayy easier to use than my moms laptop with Windows 8, and the only difference is that mine is touch screen and hers is not. Was Windows 8 originally designed to work better with touchscreen devices?

RomanAnthonysMama, Jul 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. RomanAnthonysMama

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

In my opinion, they're going for an Apple-like ecosystem. They want people using Windows 8 on their desktops to also buy Windows 8 tablets and phones, so they're trying to create a unified experience across those devices. The two 8-balls in Ballmer's head finally clanked together long enough for him to realize that UI ecosystems are the future.

The Modern UI is not a bad design, in fact I think it's a really good one, but not on a classic desktop computer. I don't find it to be a fluent experience with a keyboard and mouse, and I have no interest whatsoever in a touchscreen monitor for a desktop. The Start screen is alright. I like it better than the old Start menu; I can just pin the applications I use on it and access them quickly with the Win key and one click of the mouse. The problem is the rest of it, the fullscreen apps and the Charm bar bullshit. It makes the desktop experience feel like an afterthought, and I don't like that.

It's a shame that apps like the Modern UI email app look so great and function well (although limited in options for now), but they're ultimately useless for me because they are forced to run fullscreen. Feel blue balled by Microsoft in that respect.

Core, Jul 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. RomanAnthonysMama

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

I agree. Windows 8 isn't terrible, but for the moment I prefer to still stick to Windows 7. I just don't like the idea of half my stuff opening in that full screen app view thing and the other half opening in the desktop.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, Aug 15, 2013
  4. RomanAnthonysMama

davehc

No offense, but Assuming your "stuff" is all Windows 7 compatible, all of it will open in desktop mode on Windows 8.

davehc, Aug 15, 2013
  5. RomanAnthonysMama

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. If you open, say, the Skype app, it opens up full screen, call it metro mode or whatever, and you can switch between apps by swiping the side of the screen, but some programs like office need to open up in desktop mode. I like uniformity. In other words, I like either all my programs open up in desktop mode or all of them open up in metro mode.

Now, I know you will probably say that I can probably make the apps open up in windowed mode in desktop mode, but what's the use of having the metro interface then in the first place? Then I can just as well stick to windows 7.

6. RomanAnthonysMama

davehc

Read my post again. You are using the Skype "App" I am 100% certain you were not using the App in windows 7.
    I have not found any useful Apps, that are not available in the original desktop mode. I must confess that I do not use the apps, but I do use the modern screen, customised to my liking, as my start menu.
    I doubt if the majority of people are using all their installations on a regular basis. I moved my lesser ones into a dark corner and only kept those in frequent use in my menu.

If you really do want to use Apps, in configurable desktop mode, I would recommend you have a look at Modernmix. It does require a modest payment, but it is so little that it is not a consideration.
    Try it for free, first:
    http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/download.asp

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    davehc, Aug 15, 2013
  7. RomanAnthonysMama

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

I will have a look at that. For the moment I am still happy with Windows 7 on my desktop, since my tablet got stolen a while back (it was the only reason I used Win 8 in the first place)

This blue update is giving me some hope though, since, like Core stated earlier, personally I feel that the whole start screen and everything just works so much better on a touch screen than on a conventional PC. Even the desktop mode, when I compared it with my normal desktop the buttons just felt so much better to tap than to click. From what I heard and read, Blue will give back some of that classic desktop functionality.

I did have some errors browsing with touch in desktop mode with firefox though. Some sites, when you scroll using your fingers, would just select all the text instead of scrolling. Though Chrome did not give me that problem. IE wasn't bad, but it felt a bit bulky.

8. RomanAnthonysMama

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

A glowing endorsement :D.
    I'm thinking maybe Ballmer should have those T-Shirts made up. And maybe find a way to plug that into some of the TV Advertisements.

Trouble, Aug 15, 2013
  9. RomanAnthonysMama

adamsmith

what has been said here that providing a universal UI is the future and MS have got it so late and now trying to get up to that through the Win 8 OS and its upcoming upgraded form of 8.1..

adamsmith, Aug 17, 2013
  10. RomanAnthonysMama

Sugarhill

Granted, my laptop does have a touchscreen, but I use my touchpad quite often when navigating 8, so I really don't get this notion that it's not worth it on a laptop and is only good for a tablet.

The mouse and keyboard still function the same, you still have to click on what you want to use, just as you did with the shortcuts of the previous versions.

Also, their app store has continued to get better. I find it's no different from the Play store in that you just need to know what you are looking for and be willing to take a chance on a couple from the screenshots and descriptions.

I have a bunch of apps that have added quite nicely to my daily life.

Sugarhill, Sep 9, 2013
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question