Windows 8 Consumer Preview & Virtual Box help needed

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by brkkab123, Mar 1, 2012.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

I just finished downloading Windows 8 Consumer Preview & Virtual Box. I need some help with Virtual Box.I've got a 120 gb. ssd and 2 1.0 tb. W.D. Cavair Black hard drive's. I don't want to put the Virtual Box VHD on my ssd. I'd rather have it and Windows 8 on my first W.D. Caviar Black hard drive, which has my Contacts, Documents, Favorites, Links and Searches folder from Windows 7. My 2nd Caviar Black is in 2 partitions. One has Music, Pictures, Saved Games and Videos. The other partition can't be messed with as I followed a tutorial for putting my games on it, while making a virtual Games folder in Windows 7's C:\Program Files (x86), which actually installes them on the 2nd partition.
    How do I get Virtual Box to put the Windows 8 vhd on my D: drive ?

brkkab123, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

brkkab123

[quote="Keith Brooks, post: 918, member: 133"Forgot to upload screenshot.]I just finished downloading Windows 8 Consumer Preview & Virtual Box. I need some help with Virtual Box.I've got a 120 gb. ssd and 2 1.0 tb. W.D. Cavair Black hard drive's. I don't want to put the Virtual Box VHD on my ssd. I'd rather have it and Windows 8 on my first W.D. Caviar Black hard drive, which has my Contacts, Documents, Favorites, Links and Searches folder from Windows 7. My 2nd Caviar Black is in 2 partitions. One has Music, Pictures, Saved Games and Videos. The other partition can't be messed with as I followed a tutorial for putting my games on it, while making a virtual Games folder in Windows 7's C:\Program Files (x86), which actually installes them on the 2nd partition.
    How do I get Virtual Box to put the Windows 8 vhd on my D: drive ?[/quote]

Attached Files:

brkkab123, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

draceena

You need to tell Virtual Box where you want the virtual drive to be saved, the default is your C: drive but it can be changed.

When you first create your Virtual Machine, you'll get a Start Up screen, Click Next.
    Name your VM and select the type (Microsoft Windows, Windows 8), Click Next.
    Select the Memory Size, Click Next.
    On the Virtual Hard Disk, Select Start Up Disk, Create new Hard Disc, Click Next.
    Select .vdi, Click Next.
    Select Dynamically Allocated, Click Next.
    **The next screen is where you tell Virtual Box to save the .vdi - On the right side of the Location bar there is a little folder icon with a green ^ on it. Click it and select through to wherever you want the .vdi to be saved.
    Continue through the rest of the options to finish creating your Virtual OS.

If you have any problems following this, please let me know

draceena, Mar 4, 2012
  4. brkkab123

brkkab123

(SOLVED)Actually, it ran slow in VirtualBox, so I removed Windows 8 through VirtualBox. I then used YourUninstaller to remove VirtualBox. Yesterday I put Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my old eMachines pc with Athlon64 and it's running o.k. I won't be using much, except for maybe a few hours on Saturday's.

brkkab123, Mar 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question