Windows 8 Consumer Preview Download

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Ian, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Microsoft have released the Windows 8 Consumer Preview downloads, with x86 and x64 versions available in several languages.

Here's the official page with more information about the preview:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/consumer-preview

Or, just skip straight to the ISO downloads:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/iso

Ian, Feb 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Ian Administrator

23mins and 20 seconds of downloading still to go... looking forward to getting it installed :).

Ian, Feb 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

osiguy

yeah I know it's hard to wait isn't it. Doggone Comcast with their bottleneck download speed of only 3.5 mbps and making me wait 14 minutes... doggone them anyhow. :)

osiguy, Feb 29, 2012
  4. Ian

osiguy

I lied it only took 12 minutes

osiguy, Feb 29, 2012
  5. Ian

osiguy

I'm a network admin by trade, only reason why I'm downloading this so I can learn about it. Is there anything for someone that doesn't really care about apps to make them excited about it?

osiguy, Feb 29, 2012
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator

I've been waiting ages for my download to finish - it's at 800k/s atm.

The performance improvements may be something to look forward - especially boot times. It sounds like it could be just a few seconds to get going, rather than the current ~20 secs.

Ian, Feb 29, 2012
  7. Ian

osiguy

well 800 kbs at work isn't too bad and to be able to download files while you're at work you can't complain too much. :)
    I just got the latest download speed at Comcast because they made me mad and they re-bundled me because they never asked my permission to un-bundle me and when they re-bundled me I saved about 25 bucks a month even with the fastest download speed. I did a download speed test at broadband reports the other day and from speak easy in Parsipany New jersey I got max download speed of 11.8 mbps., which is pretty phenomenal because i'm in Vancouver, WA and it was like 230 in the afternoon. Now if I can just find a networking job where I can download files at that speed without getting my butt chewed out. :) Hell at this point I'd just be happy to have a job.

osiguy, Feb 29, 2012
  8. Ian

Bladerunner

So anyone got some first-hand insight? I would be downloading, but my current computer being out of commission (for the moment) and using my girlfriend's laptop prevents me from doing so. Gah, I need to get that thing fixed.

Bladerunner, Feb 29, 2012
  9. Ian

yodap

Installed on a fairly quick quad core machine. After install and updates (5+1) rebooted to the log in page quick. I set short password so in total I'm at metro in 25 seconds from cold start. You can click desktop or hit windows key to get to desktop. I've install Boinc to get right to crunching and Firefox and Ccleaner. You can also click on any app you install from metro and it takes you to the regular desktop.

The lack of start menu will probably drive me away eventually.
    That's it for now

yodap, Feb 29, 2012
  10. Ian

mitchell.tamsett

Downloading at work at around 6.30MB/sec :D, gotta love Government Internet.

Will be testing on tablet and desktop here.

mitchell.tamsett, Feb 29, 2012
  11. Ian

Ian Administrator

Welcome aboard Mitch! :D I'm really interested to hear what you think of it on your tablet - I've only got a PC/Laptop to test it on, but I'm very interested in how it would work on a touchscreen.

Ian, Feb 29, 2012
  12. Ian

mitchell.tamsett

Thanks!

To clarify, the tablet device is a Fujitsu LifeBook T1010. Will of course give feedback!

mitchell.tamsett, Feb 29, 2012
  13. Ian

DutchAnon

If you do decide to download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, your PC has to meet the same set of requirements needed to run Windows 7 -- at least a 1-gigahertz processor, 1 gigabyte of RAM, a graphics card compatible with DirectX 9, 16 gigabytes of free hard-drive space and a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or higher.
    As shown in the press release for Windows 8 Consumer Download this would mean using the Tegra 3 supported tablets/smartphones or waiting for the Windows 8 tablet version which should hit the market later this year.
    Anyone can download the new version of Windows, but it will only work on PCs and laptops running standard Intel Corp x86 chips. Consumers will have to wait longer to try out the full experience on ARM-compatible tablets.
    Do hope this save's a few guys the heartache of trying to install on their tablets

DutchAnon, Feb 29, 2012
  14. Ian

Gigafide128

Mine is downloading at 12mbit/s :( thats Australian Telstra DSL internet for you! had of Windows 8 Beta was released yesterday on the 29th like they said, I would of been able to download at collage at 6MB/s.

Gigafide128, Feb 29, 2012
  15. Ian

Phil K

It says my serial isn't up to the install - it's perfectly legit, and bought. Its a 64bit Home Win 7
    I am (to say the least) monumentally peed off about this.
    6 core AMD Phenom II, 8gb RAM.

Phil K, Feb 29, 2012
  16. Ian

DutchAnon

Are you doing a clean install of windows 8 on your AMD 6 Core and if so you should not use the key from your original OS use the one for the pre release as shown at the beginning of the thread.
    Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
    It would be better to install in a virtual box config as described on another thread then it can be removed whenever you like for the real OS when finally released

DutchAnon, Feb 29, 2012
  17. Ian

hello092

can you guys pls post screenshots, or make an video about windows 8

i cannot download, bec. my download speed is just 200kbps, it will take too long :(

hello092, Mar 1, 2012
  18. Ian

MUHAMMADLM

Can anyone give an overall review of how well the windows 8 works and its problems in driver installation, software compatibility, system slower than windows 7 or other issues?

MUHAMMADLM, Mar 1, 2012
  19. Ian

vijer

Well that all depends on your hardware. It installed very easily on a Lenovo T420, but then it is the latest hardware. W8 seems to run at least as fast as W7 but even if W8 is faster it will not be worth buying if you have to live with the horrible Metro UI. Microsoft may die as an OS distributor if they keep going in this direction.

vijer, Mar 1, 2012
  20. Ian

micheal

i cant download it, i have a crappy acer aspire 5515 series notebook, 1.6 ghz AMD athlon 2650e, internet speed is 54 mbps, download is 10 mbps. more likely my graphics wont support it.

micheal, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question