Windows 8 Blue?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dlong93, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dlong93

dlong93

Has anyone been able to confirm that Microsoft will be releasing an update for Windows 8 called Windows 8 Blue?

dlong93, Dec 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. dlong93

davehc

Nothing positive has yet been confirmed from Microsoft. The most solid rumour is that, from now, instead of Oss at four or five year intervals, Microsoft will release large updates (Windows Blue), which will in fact, be complete OSs. Bad news speculation, at the moment, is that we will probably have to buy them, if we want them. This follows the practice of Large software manufacturers, who normally produce annual releases, which you are expected to buy, rather than update!

This is the best rumour I have been able to t5rack, to date:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3693368/windows-blue-update-low-cost

davehc, Dec 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. dlong93

jubbly

This bit caught my eye:

Am I right to feel robbed, having just paid for windows 8?

jubbly, Dec 18, 2012
  4. dlong93

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Why? Did you not receive your copy?

Core, Dec 18, 2012
  5. dlong93

Dipsy

I wonder how it will work. MS will still have to offer up security fixes as new vulnerabilities are uncovered and other glitches will have to be addressed also. At what point will they consider an update significant enough to warrant charging users a fee to use it. Will we be "required" to buy it and will they continue to support versions when people elect to not upgrade? Other software vendors such as graphics programs publish occasional fixes for minor glitches but their upgrade offerings include new features and improvements over old ones. Doesn't seem that there would be much in the way of major improvements to an operating system that could be offered, say, every year.

Dipsy, Dec 18, 2012
  6. dlong93

jubbly

If the next version of windows is going to be free and released soon then I could have bypassed windows 8.

jubbly, Dec 18, 2012
  7. dlong93

davehc

As the rumours suggest - IF it is free, you will have to show evidence of a genuine previous version of Windows 8.

davehc, Dec 18, 2012
  8. dlong93

jubbly

Ah. I didn't read it carefully but the impression I got was that the initial windows blue, IF it is free, will be available to anyone with any version of windows.

jubbly, Dec 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question