Windows 8 Actually Improved My Machine

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by TechKnow, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TechKnow

TechKnow

Last year I bought a new laptop - an Asus Slate to be specific w/ touchscreen, digitized pen included. I bought it specifically for drawing. It came with Windows 7 - a touchscreen nightmare. A touchscreen machine running touchscreen incompatible software was like trying to make a soup sandwich. I was all ready to give up and sell this PC. It was packed up in the box the following day. I sat at my desktop ready to post it up Ebay when I came across Windows 8 Preview being offered for free. I wasted no time downloading it and stayed up all night installing. It was a lifesaver. Windows 8 made my Slate run like hot butter. As soon as the Pro version was released, I copped that, too. There were still many things it was supposed to do that it didn't but it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker. For example, I wasn't able to run the split screen, my on-screen keyboard lagged quite a bit and my Bluetooth devices timed out after about an hour of use; the only fix was a reboot or a re-synq. I experienced a considerable amount of lag while using cpu-intensive apps and the most annoying thing of all, apps in the Start area ran separately from apps in the desktop. So, if I opened my web browser using the "tile" in the metro area and say started watching Netflix, if I opened the same browser in the Desktop area opened a new window with now history of my previous viewing. All-in-all, no biggie...it was still far better than W7. Recently, I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview and it fixed all those issues. I can split the screen, the Start Area and Desktop area run in synq, Bluetooth stays active, etc... Not only do I not experience lag, it seem to run even faster and smoother I haven't experienced OS stability from Microsoft like this since Windows 98 2nd Ed.

TechKnow, Aug 6, 2013
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. TechKnow

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums TechKnow :D. It's great to hear some positive things about Windows 8 - especially the 8.1 preview :).

I'd be interested to know what you think of the slate running 8.1 compared to the experience of an iPad or Anroid tablet - is the experience as smooth as the alternatives now?

Ian, Aug 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. TechKnow

bassfisher6522

I'm looking forward to the 8.1 RTM to come out the end of this month. I've been testing 8.1 preview in Hyper-V....as you Brits say it "Tis lovely".

bassfisher6522, Aug 6, 2013
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question