Windows 8.2 Release Date

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Ian, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Could it be that we'll be seeing Windows 8.2 in just a few months? NextPowerUp seem to think so and have this to say:

I'm a little sceptical, mainly because of the mention of the start menu... but you never know!

Read more here:
    http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5464/microsoft-windows-8-2-scheduled-for-january-2014.html

Ian, Nov 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

airplayne

I wonder if this is just a hoax. I can't imagine that Microsoft would just continue issuing releases like this rather than their previous policy of doing security updates.

airplayne, Nov 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

MyDigitalpoint

I think just the same. It was surprising getting the first Windows 8 upgrade after a whole year, but the next one within a few months?

Yes, I have heard of many people finding bugs in Windows 8.1 and some others happy with this upgrade, but I don't 8.2 is a reality still.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 27, 2013
  4. Ian

Black_Epiphany

8.1 was a nice change, but microsoft isn't going to keep releasing big updates like that. There will probably be more updates through the tried and true Windows Update system, but I don't think 8.2 is going to happen anytime soon. Fortunately, I'm still happy with Windows 8 as it stands now.

Black_Epiphany, Nov 29, 2013
  5. Ian

davehc

You will find no reference to Windows 8.2 from an original MS source.
    Closest I would assess the rumour, is that it has been mistaken, somewhere, for a build of Windows 9, which is also (rumoured) to be coming out as a preview late next year.

davehc, Nov 30, 2013
  6. Ian

MyDigitalpoint

True, I was browsing Microsoft this weekend and didn't find any reference about Windows 8.2, not at least as a work in process.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 2, 2013
  7. Ian

davehc

davehc, Dec 3, 2013
  8. Ian

MyDigitalpoint

And more about Windows 8.2 keeps coming:

Full article here, http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8/further-changes-coming-windows-threshold

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 11, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  9. Ian

airplayne

This is setting a bad precedent for Microsoft, in my opinion. Will they now be sending out different version releases like this for their future OSs as well? I really hope not.

airplayne, Dec 11, 2013
  10. Ian

MyDigitalpoint

I think this erratic behavior is the result of Microsoft's desperate need to recover the market they were losing after the release of Windows Vista.

You see that Windows 7 was sort of cloning Mac operating system, and now this rush bringing 8.1 and different release days for the 8.2

Shame on them, really.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 12, 2013
  11. Ian

harshal360

Honestly I think that Microsoft is taking things way to fast and this is resulting in people leaving them for Mac OS or Linux. They still haven't fixed a lot of bugs in Windows 8 and then they released Windows 8.1 . I downloaded this because, I thought that this would fix all the Windows 8 problems, but instead it just added more problems. I think that they should work on a big update that will be released in February or March of 2014 and that update should fix all known bugs and glitches. Then if they would like to proceed instead of making a Windows 8.2 they should simply start working on Windows 9. Microsoft has been known for following a bad OS with a good one such as the transition from Vista to Windows 7, so I hope that they manage to get their stuff back together and make a really nice Windows 9.

harshal360, Dec 19, 2013
  12. Ian

davehc

It could be helpful to members, and yourself, if you could outline some of the bugs you have encountered. I, personally, have not had any which I could begin to think as serious. I am not a game player, and have read that some are having problems in that field, even yourself, in one of your earlier posts.

davehc, Dec 19, 2013
  13. Ian

davidhk129

When Vista was introduced, people decided that "windows" were stupid.
    When Win 7 was introduced, people wept for Vista.
    When Win 8 was introduced, people said it's a disaster.
    So the cycle continues.
    What else is new?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
    davidhk129, Dec 21, 2013
  14. Ian

airplayne

Why would anyone have wept for Vista? 7 is a much better OS than Vista ever was.

Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

airplayne, Dec 23, 2013
  15. Ian

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

More news recently.
    Although it doesn't look much like it will be called Windows 8.2, it looks like the Windows 8.1 Update Release may go RTM as early as March with general public availability following in April.
    Read more here
    And within the article a link with some screen shots.

Trouble, Jan 9, 2014
    Ian likes this.
  16. Ian

Tchégéda

And Microsoft will don't create a new version all the 3 month too.

Tchégéda, Jan 17, 2014
  17. Ian

Trellum

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The start menu coming back would be awesome!!!!!!! I'd love to see that annoying start up screen go, it reminds me of the tablet I have but I hate to use :p I really would love seeing a similar design to Windows 7, at least a bit.

Trellum, Jan 26, 2014
  18. Ian

davehc

A windows 8.1 "escrow" updatehas just been leaked on the web. Couldn't resist and tried it. I am afraid the hardcore haters, if this is very close to final, which it should be, are going to be disappointed if they are expecting a miracle transformation.

I have installed this early update and, so far, these are my first observations:

1.Metro apps now have jumplists when pinned to the taskbar, letting you quickly access recent documents with ease.
    2. Optionally boots to the legacy desktop.
    3. Power options are now on the modern GUI.
    4.Windows 8.1 Update 1 is expected to debut in April as part of Microsoft’s Patch Tuesday rollout and will be offered free of charge to all those already running Windows 8.1.
    5. Microsoft will release Windows 8.1 Update 1 as an MSU file. This will complete the installation automatically, in the same manner as regular updates.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    davehc, Feb 9, 2014
  19. Ian

apgmonk

I would be surprised to see another update so soon, never mind one that brings large changes such as a Start Menu. That would surely be an admission that Microsoft got it wrong, wouldn't it? I miss it occasionally, but not enough that the whole system needs to change.

apgmonk, Feb 11, 2014
  20. Ian

Trellum

Kinda disappointed here. I thought bringing back the start menu would be a great update, but it seems it will not be happening anytime soon. So glad I'm starting to get used to windows 8 GUI. I guess this is it.

Trellum, Feb 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question