Windows 8.1 will NOT BOOT without DVD in drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arhitecturalia, May 16, 2015.

1. arhitecturalia

arhitecturalia

Got a new Kingston SSD for using as system drive. Previously got system on HDD, Windows 8.1 updated from a Win 8 license. I have 1 SSD (the Kingston) and another 3 HDDs.
    I used Windows 8 Boot DVD with license.
    The problem is as following:
    - got Windows on SSD drive with all HDD disconected after that I connected all HDDs, from which one had the system on it, same Win 8 system, and the system was not booting. All kinds o f error messages and blue screens one of which was a Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error.
    - after a 2 days struggle I took it from beginning. Clean slate, Format HDDs and stuff.

All went fine until the end. After installing Windows 8 on the SSD and updated to windows 8.1 and then connected the rest of the 3 HDD when I remove the Windows 8 DVD from the DVD drive the system stops from booting.
    Error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media"
    Steps I followed when installing system on SSD:
    0. Used Windows Boot DVD to format the HDD that previously had the system on it and backed up all my data on it and the other 2 HDDs
    1. Disconnected all other HDD but the Kingston SSD.
    2. Connected SSD with 6GB Sata cable to a 6GB port on my MB (named port SATA 3_1)
    3. Set DISK MODE to AHCI in Bios and made SSD first boot device
    4. NO UEFI Bios option available so no need to disable it.
    5. Ran clean install from Windows 8 DVD
    6. Boot only with SSD connected and updated to Windows 8.1
    7. Connected rest of HDDs ONE BY ONE meaning, connected one, booted system, all good, shut down, connected second, booted system, all good, third etc.
    8. All was fine for now. All this time the Win DVD was in the DVD drive.
    Booted again with system on SSD and all HDD connected, also the DVD drive connected. All HDD's are on normal SATA ports. SATA 1_1, 1_2 and SATA 2_1 ports on MB.
    SSD is set as first boot device.
    NOW: When I remove de Windows DVD from the DVD drive I get the error mentioned above: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media".
    Then if remove all HDDs but the SSD and Windows DVD from drive I get a blue screen: ""Recovery. Your PC needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc000000f."
    If I Insert the Win DVD back in and do a repair it starts again.
    If, after a repair, I just remove Win DVD from drive and let all SSD and HDD connected I get the same message but when I insert DVD back again no need to do a repair cause the system starts fine.
    I came across many issues and errors in my experience with PCs and Windows systems but this is by far the weirdest one.
    Please assist me if you have any ideas.
    Thanks.

arhitecturalia, May 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. arhitecturalia

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Might I suggest starting over, yet again, and this time remove the Windows 8 DVD early in the process and make sure that your system will boot from your new SSD with only that attached and no Windows DVD in your optical drive.
    I suspect you have an active partition on one of your other drives, possibly as a result of an earlier dual boot experiment or something and that drive is causing the problem.
    Keep us posted. Very interesting problem.

Trouble, May 17, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. arhitecturalia

arhitecturalia

Thanks for the reply. I will Start over even if it gets me chills to even think about it. I started over like 5 time already :)
    Meanwhile, on one of my HDDs I had a Windows 8.1 system installed. I only formated it from the Windows 8 disk (Started the install process and when you have to choose the disk to install I deleted the partition on the old HDD with the system and formated it) I don't know if it is the proper way to remove all system remains from a HDD and make it inactive.
    I will start over with the reinstall.

arhitecturalia, May 17, 2015
  4. arhitecturalia

OK.
    And please make sure that all other drivers are disconnected as you've done previously as well as all external media / USB drives of all types.
    And when the installation of 8 is completed please remove your DVD from the optical drive and confirm that the system boots before proceeding with the 8.1 upgrade from the store.
    Keep us posted.

Trouble, May 17, 2015
  5. arhitecturalia

arhitecturalia

Just something that I forgot to mention maybe is important: if I am successfuly booted in windows 8.1 meaning disk is in drive and remove disk while in windows the system continues to work until I restart. At restart the blue screen pops up again. Now the interesting part. While with the blue screen I insert the win 8 disk, CTRL+ALT+DEL but the system boots again with the blue screen even if the disk is in. To properly boot I have to hit F11 for boot menu and choose DVD DRIVE as boot device and then when ask to Hit Any Key To Boot From DVD I just DON'T and it boots ok from SSD. So I don't have to actualy boot from DVD only have it in the drive. Maybe this is another clue.

arhitecturalia, May 18, 2015
  6. arhitecturalia

Have you completed the install as I outlined above and this is your current state?

Trouble, May 18, 2015
  7. arhitecturalia

arhitecturalia

The previous post was before the reinstall.
    After clean reinstall windows 8 just SSD connected, booted ok, removed disk and getting error message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".
    Started a fresh install of windows 7 just to be sure. SAME THING HAPPENED.
    So bottom line won t work without disk in drive, win 8 or 7. Any ideas?

8. arhitecturalia

WOW.... I'm not sure that I've actually ever heard of this exact thing happening before. Not at least as you've described it and if I'm understanding correctly.
    It sounds a bit like a missing chipset driver or something that needs to be installed during the OS installation process, but.....
    I would think that, that would prevent the installation itself from going forward.
    Do me a favor
    If you're up for it.
    Start over only this time if you don't mind trying it, change your disk controller from AHCI to IDE (native). If that works then we know that there is something unique about your motherboard chipset and the drivers for it need to be a part of the install.
    Also you may want to use Diskpart to "clean" the SSD in advance of the installation.

I guess what we really need to know in advance of doing anything is....
    Do you have this problem when performing the same install on a regular spinner (not solid state) hard disk.
    Perhaps and this is only a guess at this point the SSD may need a firmware update in advance of it being able to support booting the OS??

Trouble, May 18, 2015
  9. arhitecturalia

arhitecturalia

I kind of found a solution hopefully it will work all the way.
    I switched the SSD to SATA_1 port on my MB. It is not a 6GB port but is fast enough and can really tell the diference in speed anyway. Now it boots without disk. BTW SSD was up to date with firmware.
    Did not manage to connect all the HDDs yet (the 3 of them :) ) but hopefully it will work.
    Fingers crossed.

10. arhitecturalia

Good work and nice find.
    That might suggest, as I mentioned earlier that a chipset driver for the motherboard might be needed, that may make those other ports bootable.
    I know on my gigabyte board that I have two SATA controllers one uses an AMD chipset and the other a Jmicron chipset.
    Although, again, I would have thought that missing the drivers specifically or at least native support would have prevented the install altogether.
    Are you certain you are not missing another subtle setting in the BIOS for configuring boot devices as well as boot device priority?

Trouble, May 18, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question