Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade, will begin public beta testing on June 26 - Extremetech

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by themarksquared, May 22, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared

Good day, Windows 8 forums!

Today is a glorious day for I have found during my ventures in Google a piece of news that will make us feel jubilant. As what the thread title says, Windows 8.1 (it's not anymore Windows Blue) will be a FREE (as expected) upgrade for current Windows 8 users! In addition to that, Microsoft has also confirmed that they will begin public beta testing on June 26. Rejoice!

Since I'm a good guy, I've decided to share the article here. I'll be quoting the important parts of the article only. Should you wish to read the whole piece, here is the source.

Discussion time!

themarksquared, May 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. themarksquared

Lokitns

Awesome, Start button coming back? Yay I no longer have to install a Virtual Style to get one. Also, did Microsoft just mention how Apple does something? And that... that they're copying it? Obviously it's just a store technique but still, even that's kind of extreme for how MS normally does business.

Lokitns, May 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. themarksquared

themarksquared

Yep, it's high-time to say goodbye to those third-party applications and modifications. Although I have never used any of those, I'm glad to know that I can enable the Start button without downloading any program.

Yes, Microsoft will be distributing the file through the App Store,just like Apple.

themarksquared, May 23, 2013
  4. themarksquared

glcjr

If the rumors are true, I'm glad I went with the free third part app that gives a start button and not the pay one. lol

I'd probably be annoyed if I had bought one.

glcjr, May 24, 2013
  5. themarksquared

themarksquared

Oh Jesus, that would really suck. I wonder how I would react if that would happen to me. Annoyed, I guess. Furious over the fact that I've wasted money? Yes.

themarksquared, May 24, 2013
  6. themarksquared

davehc

As I said in an earlier post, I have been following the builds and, so far, there is no indication of a return of the Start menu, but mere, and small, hints that there could be a start button which will return you to the Metro. This makes no sense, of course, as we already have such a button.
    But if new users will persist, it is really quite easy to set up the Metro, so that it can be comfortably used as a start menu. The only thing I found irritating was the use of a full screen for Apps. This can be overcome by using alternative programs, which open on the legacy desktop, or, now, by the use of my installed favourite, "Modernmix"

Reference the link, though. Not sure how they see a "Service pack". To me, as with those which have been in the past, an SP is something you run into your existing OS. Unless there are some dramatic changes within the next month, Windows 8.1 is a stand alone OS.

davehc, May 24, 2013
  7. themarksquared

Tyelander

I'll probably give the beta testing a go. Might as well since I am slowly using my laptop less and less. It has window's 8 on it.

Tyelander, May 24, 2013
  8. themarksquared

themarksquared

If you do, please give us some update on Windows 8.1's new features and stuff. I might not be able to join the beta testing due to some personal issues. Thanks!

themarksquared, May 28, 2013
  9. themarksquared

airplayne

I will wait till it comes out the general populous, but am pleased to hear this will be a free upgrade.

airplayne, May 29, 2013
  10. themarksquared

themarksquared

"Free" is always a good word, I believe. As long as they won't charge me for anything, then I will gladly accept this update with open arms. Thank you for making the right decision, Microsoft.

themarksquared, Jun 2, 2013
  11. themarksquared

crazycroc

What about for Windows 7 users? I doubt the price will be anywhere near that of what it was when Windows 8 was first released and they were giving cheap upgrades.

crazycroc, Jun 2, 2013
  12. themarksquared

themarksquared

I think I was able to read an article that Microsoft will be making the Windows 8 and its upgrades more expensive. I think I read it here.

themarksquared, Jun 3, 2013
  13. themarksquared

TheYonderGod

Cool, right now I'm only using Windows 8 on my laptop, but when this comes out I will try it out on my desktop.

TheYonderGod, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question