Windows 8.1, who has it and do you like it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by airplayne, Oct 30, 2013.

1. airplayne

airplayne

I am contemplating upgrading my laptop (which currently has windows 8) to 8.1, but nothing I have heard or seen so far has incited an overt desire to do this.

Has anyone upgraded to the new version and you feel it was worth it?

My one limitation is that my laptop does not have a touch screen.

airplayne, Oct 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. airplayne

davehc

The touch screen is not a governing need in the OS, anymore than was Windows 8. The point and click is just as easy to use.

Windows 8.1 has some minor improvements over Windows 8 and, as it is free, I would see no purpose in not upgrading.
    But, one warning. Many users seem to be having devastating problems with the upgrade. I have the RTM, but have used the upgrade four of five times on different machines, for testing and feedback. All have gone smoothly-
    Please make a reliable fallback image of your present setup, before proceeding, then you will be able to return to square one and start over

davehc, Oct 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. airplayne

airplayne

Before I attempt an upgrade I will most likely partition the hard drive in order to avoid having to move important files off of the machine in order to safely do the upgrade. I have always been of the school that makes two sides of a hard drive in every computer that only has one.

airplayne, Oct 30, 2013
  4. airplayne

davehc

Not sure what you are saying there. Windows 8 upgrade overwrites your existing OS, yu don't get an option for where to install it.

davehc, Oct 30, 2013
  5. airplayne

airplayne

Right, I am just highlighting that since there is only one harddrive on my laptop that I will be adding a partition that will just be used for storing files/data and leave the original partition for the OS/Programs.

airplayne, Oct 30, 2013
  6. airplayne

yodap

I upgraded without any problems. The one thing I meant to do before I started was disconnect my W7 (on another physical drive) from the computer so nothing weird would happen to it. But I forgot and started the upgrade. Happily everything went fine and my EasyBCD settings on the W8 install were preserved.
    I have been reading on my other forums about nightmares with the upgrade. Real smart people having problems. So If you do it, prepare the best you can. As davehc says, make a new image before you try it.

yodap, Oct 30, 2013
  7. airplayne

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

You take backups of your data anyway, right?

Core, Oct 31, 2013
  8. airplayne

airplayne

Only the really important stuff. My wife is extremely diligent in backing up photos. I think she has them saved in three different places, including costco.com.

airplayne, Oct 31, 2013
    themarting likes this.
  9. airplayne

Charlie.L

OH, actually i'm a little disapointed...
    my Bing search is gone and i can't find it any more!!!
    and my Dolby can't open...
    my English and HongKong language bags are both gone too!!!
    how to deal with these probelm...who can tell me ??TAT...

Charlie.L, Nov 1, 2013
  10. airplayne

themarting

Photos are the one big thing that cant be redownloaded or recreated with enough work. Anything else, be it music, photoshop works in progress, excel files word documents, can eventually be recreated, even if not to its exact original state. A picture will never happen exactly as it was again.

I think your wife is smart to have multiple backups of her photos.

themarting, Nov 1, 2013
  11. airplayne

strych923

I installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop which has an AMD switchable graphics card, and trust me I was horrified with the amount of bugs in that OS. It's sleek and looks beautiful, but there are still countless bugs that need to be taken care of before I upgrade.

strych923, Nov 14, 2013
  12. airplayne

themarting

What kind of bugs, off the top of your head. I cant imagine it would be so many that it would be unusable.

themarting, Nov 14, 2013
  13. airplayne

davehc

Can you point out a few? I haven't, yet, encountered anything serious. How did you install it, and what was the source of the download.?

davehc, Nov 15, 2013
  14. airplayne

Dipsy

I installed 8.1 the day it was released and so far am only having one issue (that I'm aware of). Sleep mode doesn't always work. On reboot sleep mode will work for awhile and then for no apparent reason that I can find it will stop. The monitor turns off at the specified time but the CPU remains active. Reboot and sleep mode will once again work for awhile till it decides to quit. I started a thread regarding the issue on the Microsoft 8.1 forum and so far it has grown to 10 pages with a lot of others chiming in with the same problem. Everything on my computer has been updated to the latest drivers and UEFI but nothing seems to solve the sleep mode. It's frustrating because I cannot replicate the problem at will and just have to wait till it quits for whatever reason it quits because of. Can't find anything unusual and never know just when it will quit. Also no idea why a reboot will cause it to start working again.

There are 50 pages of threads created by people having some kind of issue with Windows 8.1 which may not be unusual but to me it does indicate that a lot of people are having a problem. I like 8.1 and aside from the sleep issue it seems to be working OK. Just be aware that you may be one of the users who will experience some kind of problem. I'd say give it a go.

I almost forgot: I have a 2nd computer running 8.1 and it will not go into sleep mode at all unless I do it manually via the power options.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Dipsy, Nov 15, 2013
  15. airplayne

davehc

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    davehc, Nov 15, 2013
  16. airplayne

Dipsy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    Dipsy, Nov 15, 2013
  17. airplayne

davehc

davehc, Nov 15, 2013
  18. airplayne

davehc

davehc, Nov 15, 2013
  19. airplayne

Limezero

I haven't upgraded yet myself, since I still can't get it to show up in the Store and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall. I tried the alpha/demo a while back, and it seemed interesting. There aren't any meaningful changes to the desktop though, it's mostly just performance improvements and additions to the start screen.

Limezero, Nov 16, 2013
  20. airplayne

themarting

What things have you tried to get it to show in the store?

On my system, i had to go to system update and install all updates before 8.1 shows up. You must be fully up to date.

themarting, Nov 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question