Windows 8.1 Pro needs activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by John Smith, Apr 29, 2016.

1. John Smith

John Smith

More than one and a half years ago, I purchased a Lenovo laptop for a new employee who, after working for four months, left the company. The laptop has since been sitting idle most of the time. Two days ago, I turned it on. I believe I saw a message saying the Windows 8.1 Pro will expire in May. I haven't seen that message since.

What kind of a license does the laptop have that will expire in one and a half years?

John Smith, Apr 29, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. John Smith

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Sorry for the delay in attention to your post.
    IS it possible that during the time that the "employee" had the laptop, that he might have installed an Operating System, perhaps even a preview version of a OS release, that did not have the proper Product Key associated with the install?
    You can always use the factory "recovery" partition to reset the laptop back to its' factory state. Most newer Lenovo laptops have something call a "Novo" button adjacent to the power button.
    IF not then you'll need to check with the documentation that came with the laptop, or with Lenovo's support website and see what needs to be done to take advantage of the factory reset.
    NOTE: Resetting the computer will typically erase any data as well as programs that did not come pre-installed on the computer, so you may want to backup any critical data before going forward.

Trouble, May 10, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question