Windows 8.1 (Blue) update will be FREE (yay)

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by themarksquared, May 15, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared

One of my concerns about the announced Windows Blue is that if it would be free or charged. Fortunately, I was able to stumble upon a news article on Yahoo about this said concern. I shall be quoting the important parts of the article. I shall also be linking the source below.

Emphasis on the word free. *does a little happy dance*

I for one, love change, so the changes mentioned didn't really bother me at all. I adapted. Just like our ancestors who faced different changes, they adapted to it. Simple as that.

This might be Microsoft's little Christmas gift for us.

Any thoughts about this?

SOURCE

themarksquared, May 15, 2013
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. themarksquared

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

You say Christmas gift, I say damage control.

Core, May 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. themarksquared

themarksquared

You're right, but I'm not really affected by the damage they did with Windows 8. :D

themarksquared, May 16, 2013
  4. themarksquared

davehc

damage for what!

Windows 8, a dual OS, runs precisely asd Windows 7, with rather modest performance improvements.
    With a third party download, ( a normal practise if you are dissatisfied with the inadequacy of any built in products - Paint?) of many to choose from, you can have the start menu back and never see the Metro again. I use the Metro as my menu. I tend not to have any requirement for Apps, as I do not like anything to be full screen. But with modernmix, I have found a way around that also . Totally comfortable with Windows 8 now.
    I am finding the continual, and almost only, moan about Windows 8 start menu repetitious and, frankly, boring.

The quoted article even has it wrong. It misrepresents the OS. The Metro screen is not the only option. One can use the familiar desktop in all its glory, together with the Control panel, and the NORMAL windows 7 method of selecting all the items now available in the new, silly named, Charms bar.

davehc, May 16, 2013
    sleepyH22 and Trouble like this.
  5. themarksquared

themarksquared

I was just going along with his words. If you want me to be honest, I even liked it when they removed the start button. Maybe it's just me, but I'm more of 'design' guy. When it looks good to the eye, I like it. Fortunately, Metro is better looking than that boring start menu. I love change, honestly. I love Windows 8 more than Windows 7.

themarksquared, May 16, 2013
  6. themarksquared

mintpp

I was expecting this but glad to hear some official confirmation nonetheless. I don't think MS are quite in damage control mode yet, but the public backlash if they had opted to charge even a small amount of money for Blue would have been massive, so this was the only sensible decision.

mintpp, May 16, 2013
  7. themarksquared

jubbly

Great news. There is no way I would have paid for this. I was very supportive of Windows 8 at first but it has since caused some serious problems on the 2 computers I have it on.

I considered the £50 I paid for 2 upgrade licences to be a bargain and investment. Hopefully this free update will make them such.

jubbly, May 18, 2013
  8. themarksquared

themarksquared

I'm on the same boat as you. Trust me, I love the Windows 8 and I currently have no complaints about it, but if Microsoft required us to pay for this update, then I guess I'll be sticking with the vanilla Windows 8 version. I believe that the money I paid to own the OS is enough justification that I deserve a free update.

Good thing it's confirmed to be free.

themarksquared, May 24, 2013
  9. themarksquared

Trent Berlinger

This is very good news. I am planning to get a Windows 8 device soon, and am looking forward to downloading this update, or at least the preview of the update. I've not used Windows 8 since I worked with a family member's laptop, so I am excited to see these new features and changes coming to the OS.

Although I would think an update would be free, regardless, it is nice to see it coming without charge.

Trent Berlinger, Aug 28, 2013
  10. themarksquared

themarksquared

As far as I can remember, I've heard that the update will be released for free for existing Windows 8 users next month. I honestly can't wait for this. I love change.

themarksquared, Sep 4, 2013
  11. themarksquared

Sly14Cat

Haha "damage control".
    I agree 100% with this. Microsoft has finally done something right. Considering how much of a flop Windows 8 was, it'd better be free. I'm very happy that they at least thought of that. If it was paid then the problem would probably explode 100 fold. Microsoft would have made quite the wrong move. I'll be waiting for Windows 8.1 and hope for the best.

Sly14Cat, Sep 21, 2013
  12. themarksquared

airplayne

I recently saw an ad with what I am assuming is a device with Windows 8.1. Based on this I am not all that impressed with the "start button" if that is what they are doing with it. Basically, the functionality shown in the ad is you can just tap (if you have a touch screen) on the start button and it will take you to the main screen, but will not open up the start menu as it has in versions past. Am I right on this assessment, or was there something I missed?

airplayne, Sep 24, 2013
  13. themarksquared

davidhk129

Yes. The so called Start button in Win 8.1 is nothing like the old Start button that we are used to in Vista and Win 7.

In Win 8.1,
    a left click of the Start button will bring you to Start screen....
    Start screen.png

a right click will get you this.....
    Start button - right click.png

You will need a 3rd party program to bring back the old Start button and Start menu, such as this........ Start8.png

davidhk129, Sep 24, 2013
  14. themarksquared

airplayne

Well, that seems rather pointless. Obviously they did not realize that it was not just the button people were missing, but the menu as well. Now I am leaning toward not even bothering with upgrading.

By the way, are they treating this as a actual upgrade for Windows 8 users, or an update? Meaning, will we need to reinstall any other programs we have on your machines after installing 8.1?

airplayne, Sep 24, 2013
  15. themarksquared

davidhk129

Assuming that you are addressing me.....

1. Please read my post again. I have added a 3rd screenshot.

2. If you are running win 8 already, you have the choice to keep all your files and settings, or you can select "keep nothing " option.
    I upgraded mine from Win 8 Pro to Win 8.1 Pro and all my installed programs remain intact, except those that are NOT supported by Win 8.1.

If you are using Win 7, you will have to reinstall all the programs after the upgrade, as only documents and file transfer is supported.

It is an upgrade.

davidhk129, Sep 24, 2013
  16. themarksquared

Sugarhill

Davidhk, you still find more use with the nine programs available in that screenshot of the start menu than the nine+ things you could put on your start screen and get to with one push of the Windows key?

Sugarhill, Sep 25, 2013
  17. themarksquared

airplayne

@Davidhk, what third party software did you install to get the start menu?

airplayne, Sep 25, 2013
  18. themarksquared

davehc

I,m still staying with the modern, as my start menu. This is my latest. I installed those Windows 7 games, which filled up the extra block on the end. It is still only an instant swipe away, though. Sorry about the quality, I am no graphics genius.

Attached Files:

davehc, Sep 25, 2013
  19. themarksquared

davidhk129

[
    Start8 from Stardock.
    cost $4.99 ( yes. 4 dollars and ninety nine cents ).
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp
    You can try it for 30 days before you buy it.
    It can't be beat.

davidhk129, Sep 25, 2013
  20. themarksquared

Sly14Cat

So what I get from this is that they added a start button as many have asked for, but it doesn't do anything? So instead of clicking in the corner to go the the Metro UI I have a button to click instead. I'm pretty sure that's not what we meant by "bring back the start button". Microsoft, y u no listen to the consumer. No wonder Balmer is bailing...

Sly14Cat, Sep 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question