Win8 how to transfer data files from one laptop to another while first laptop goes in for repair

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by michael lees, Sep 11, 2013.

1. michael lees

michael lees

Title pretty much explains it::] Me; I'm a newbie of sorts./to8/.
    [Win8 how to transfer data files from one laptop to another while first notepad goes in for repair]
    I have a Lenovo note that needs repair and will be buying a Toshiba sub $300 laptop to run my business affairs from while Lenovo is in for repair.
    I need the programs and data copied to the new laptop so they will run same as if on the Lenovo. Both Machines are Windows 8 yada yada yada. Any helpful pointers out there are appreciated very much....! Thnx
    michael

michael lees, Sep 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. michael lees

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Best bet for personal files and data might be something like the Windows Easy Transfer wizard which is a native program and explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735227
    Export them to an external resource and then on the other machine evoke the same wizard and import them.

As far as the programs you're likely going to have to install them again from scratch. When programs install they place their tiny bits and bites in various places, registering .dlls and adding pertinent data into the Windows Registry and you just won't get that by simply copying over the programs directory.

Trouble, Sep 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question