Win8 Folder Permissions Disappear after PC Restart

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by VanishingHope, Dec 15, 2012.

1. VanishingHope

VanishingHope

Installed Win8 Pro on my desktop (clean install on new HD) and am having troubles setting folder/file permissions. I am the sole admin/user of the actual PC.

The issue is on an internal drive/folder (E:\Documents\), I go to Properties --> Security Tab. This tab shows 4 existing users or groups which have access to this machine:
    1. SYSTEM
    2. My MS Account ID
    3. Home Users
    4. Administrators
    These accounts make a lot of sense to me. I started sharing this folder on my network so my wife can save documents from her Surface RT to the network share. So, I added a 5th user.

5. My Wife's MS Account ID

Once complete, my wife can fully read/write to the folder without issue from the Surface. However, if at any point my desktop PC restarts, my wife's MS account drops from the E:\Documents\ folder. She can no longer write to it.

I checked the security tab again and it was back to the 4 original accounts -- her permissions were gone. I have tried other fixes too such as adding my wife's account to this desktop PC or even sharing folders on the other drives I have. Nothing I have tried will allow my wife's MS account ID to remain on the shared folder after a restart. We've even tried on the 2 laptops we have Win8 on. They all stop working because the folder permissions disappear from the shared folder.

This was not an issue in Windows 7 but then again, I had to setup each account as DeviceNetworkName/UserAccount. I'm trying to get around this by adding her MS account ID so that her laptop, her surface, my laptop, and my desktop + any future Win8 device will simply allow her to have full read/write access.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is very frustrating.
    Thank you,
    --Aaron

VanishingHope, Dec 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. VanishingHope

VanishingHope

Finally had some success. I realized that the folders I had this problem with were shared through Homegroup too. So, I removed all Homegroup permissions and added my wife's MS account. Restarted a few times and the permissions are still there.

At this point, I'm not sure if it was the Homegroup thing or possibly something else. Not ready to test my theory at this point so I'll just consider this complete.

If anyone has any idea why this was happening, please feel free to post still.
    Thanks,
    --Aaron

VanishingHope, Dec 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question