Win 8.1 Updating Disturbing Registry & Slowing Machine!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasonNail, Feb 1, 2016.

1. JasonNail

JasonNail

Hello. Jason here. (HP2000/win8.1/x64)

I was trying to do some massive, time critical work, and I see the Windows Updating process is the culprit. How would one go about stopping this machine from talking to MS/& vice-versa? Is there something in the fine print upon purchasing an MS product suggesting that, if online, this machine will be subject to the updating process?

Am I looking at a huge mountain to pass? Or, should I be thinking about Linux or another OS because Windows update is inherently 'built in'?

Thank you very much! Jas

PS I started a post at How2G with this same 'theme'. They didn't seem to know, or wouldn't tell me, and suggested here and bleepingC . https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/microsoft-updating-disturbing-registry-slowing-machine/40898/15

JasonNail, Feb 1, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. JasonNail

JasonNail

[QUOTE="How would one go about stopping this machine from talking to MS/& vice-versa? [/QUOTE]

This kind of reminds me of an old movie called Tron. The MCP is slowing things down, but users are trying to make it free. LOL Not that it matters, (I'm sure the Windows update text file is accurate), I'm going to attempt to upload the text file with this reply. (Even though there are no problems with the operation of this machine, studying this file, IMHO, is moot, as the issue lies with turning the Windows updates off, which I'm confused about, at the source or at this machine{?}.)

I keep this laptop running clean and fast. I thought I remembered seeing an auto-updates option off. But, officially, I don't know where this is. If indeed I find it again, and it is off, is there anything else to try? Thank you very much! Jas

K. Upload a File button isn't responding.

JasonNail, Feb 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. JasonNail

JasonNail

It never fails. When I'm getting ready to do a simple, quick task, here comes MS with some more updating. LOL It messed me up for a little while today. But, I rearranged my life to finish what I was working on. Can any one walk me through the proper way to shut down all this activity? (Kind of reminds me of Norwegian Scabies. LOL) Oh... I found a work around in the meanwhile! Just unplug and take the battery off. It should show in this latest Windows Update text file (between 7am and 5:30pm). Not sure, I tried to upload the text earlier. But it didn't respond. So, I went ahead and put it on youtube. K. Thank you very much! Jas

JasonNail, Feb 2, 2016
  4. JasonNail

babyelina

After updating Windows , you can clean the registry.See if it helps?

babyelina, Feb 2, 2016
  5. JasonNail

JasonNail

I'm trying not to be doing any updating. Yes, I clean the registry. Like I say, the updating is actually affecting the registry. If I could just get MS to stop this machine would be fine.

(Good idea, but I'm already on top of that)

JasonNail, Feb 3, 2016
  6. JasonNail

JasonNail

May have solution on deck soon. Over. Thank you very much! Jason

JasonNail, Feb 4, 2016
  7. JasonNail

JasonNail

Ended up reinstalling or reverting back to Windows 8. Doing so asked to set autoupdates on, but gave an option not to. Problem solved. Windows 8 works good. Thank you very much! (Solved)

JasonNail, Feb 18, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question