Win 8.1 crashes daily

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by akokin, Feb 22, 2014.

1. akokin

akokin

Hi all,
    Recently my Windows 8.1 started to freeze and crash almost daily, usually after 3-4 hours of uptime. Usually the crash is preceeded with internet connectivity issues, which are only noticeable on the affected PC, while all other devices connected to the same router seem to work fine. I've tried updating all drivers and BIOS with no success.

Generally the system just freezes and becomes unresponsive completely. The only way out is manual shutdown and reset. Unfortunately, the crash dumps don't appear to be created in this case - the last crash was today, but the latest dump is from the beginning of the month.

Is there a way to troubleshoot further? Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubii340qg33drml/W8.zip - the file (2 mb) is too big for forum attachment.

akokin, Feb 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. akokin

davidhk129

...........usually after 3-4 hours of uptime...............

Any chance of overheating ?

davidhk129, Feb 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. akokin

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    As best I can determine from your most recent dump files a USB Driver nmwcdnsux64.sys 10/5/2011 (Nokia USB Phone Bus Driver) is causing some problems with a windows system driver USBXHCI.sys.
    While your two older dump files are pointing at another third party driver asmtufdriver.sys 9/28/2012 (can't find much info about that particular file). Perhaps do a little research on your own and see if you can determine what it is and how it came to be on your system.
    I also notice that you apparently have installed some Asus Utilities
    AsIO.sys
    AsUpIO.sys
    and a third which may or may not be an Asus product AiChargerPlus.sys (a known cause of BSOD issues)

There are any number of ways to address these drivers the first and probably best of which is to update to the latest version, second if you don't find yourself actually needing the product try uninstalling the associated software and confirm that the driver is no longer installed on your system. Third and probably least graceful, but sometimes necessary is to find the driver (usually C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) and rename it by changing the file extension from
    .sys to something like .OLD or .SAVE

Use Samsung Magician to confirm that you have the latest firmware on your 840 PRO

Trouble, Feb 22, 2014
  4. akokin

akokin

Hi all, thanks for the responces.

1. I am pretty sure that overheating isn't an issue. I monitor system state and the temperatures of CPU, memory or hard drives are normal, rarely go higher than 35-37 C. I also did some physical memory tests and they didn't show any issues.

2. The problem with these dumps is that they are old, and the new ones are not created - for example, there are no dump from today despite the facts that system had already crashed once (dumps are still on in the preferences, I've double-checked). So all of those issues and drivers you mentioned are already taken care of - I have uninstalled all Nokia apps, uninstalled ASUS Charger app and re-installed the drivers\utilities with no success.

Any advices on how to troubleshoot the lack of dumps? Generally when the system freezes I just hit reset and reboot, and I was under imperssion that it should create the dump. However, this is not the case and I cannot troubleshoot further.

akokin, Feb 22, 2014
  5. akokin

If your OS is on the SSD then I would suspect that. If you've confirmed that you have the latest version of the samsung firmware for that drive, then the only way I know of further troubleshooting the issue would be to perhaps clone the install over to a spare spinner and see if the problem persists or magically vanishes.

It's a troublesome problem to get a handle on especially with no dump files nor evidently a clue about what's going on in the event viewer. A hard lock like that with your monitor still displaying whatever was going on at the time but the computer not accepting anything from any means of input...... I don't know, I just gotta suspect the SSD. Could be wrong (often the case) but if you can get your hands on a spare conventional hard drive and use something like the 30 day free trial of Acronis True Image to clone your current install so that you can swap them out it might at least move the diagnostic needle a bit.

Trouble, Feb 22, 2014
  6. akokin

Shintaro Moderator

There are a couple of places that the crash dumps can be:

c:\Windows
    C:\Windows\Minidump
    C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG

If you locate any, put them in a zip file and upload them to the forum.

Shintaro, Feb 22, 2014
  7. akokin

akokin

Hi all,

1. Thanks. Yes, OS is on SDD. It has the latest drivers and firmware, and all disk checks return no errors. I have a spare HDD though, and if everything else fails, I'll give it a try.

2. First two locations only contained the dump from 4 Feb, which is definitely not the latest. The last one contained the dump from the 15th of Feb, which is attached. It is still not current, since the last crash was yesterday and the day before that. Can you please take a look?

Attached Files:

akokin, Feb 23, 2014
  8. akokin

Shintaro Moderator

Hi,

What are the specs of your computer?
    Are you using the Metro interface or a desktop?

Shintaro, Feb 23, 2014
  9. akokin

akokin

i7-4770, 16 gb 2133 ram, GTX770, SDD Samsung 840 pro series on ASUS Z87-pro MB. I use both, desktop like 90% of the time, but it can crash both while I am on desktop and while in Metro\Metro app.

akokin, Feb 23, 2014
  10. akokin

Shintaro Moderator

It's great that you have the latest drivers for you computer installed.
    A couple of things:
    1/ What were you doing when the computer crashes? Watching youtube, web browsing (What browser?)?
    2/ Have you run a virus scan lately? What Anti-virus are you using?
    3/ Run chkdsk on your hard drives.
    4/ Open a command prompt as Administrator and run:
    Code:
    sfc /scannow

Please run Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
    1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    4. Select:
      ---- Special Pool
      ---- Pool Tracking
      ---- Force IRQL Checking
      ----Deadlock Detection
      ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
      ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
      ---- Miscellaneous Checks
    5. Click "Next"
    6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
    Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
    The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.​

Shintaro, Feb 23, 2014
  11. akokin

akokin

Thanks! I did all checks, scans and system installation verification already.

Will give a try to the Driver Verifier. Since the system crashes daily, it shouldn't be a long wait for me.

akokin, Feb 24, 2014
  12. akokin

akokin

Ok, it crashed almost immediately after I rebooted with Verifier on and continued crashing almost each minute until I turned it off. This time it actually generated a new dump. It is attached, can you please take a look? I guess some of the ASUS motherboard drivers or utilities causing it?

Attached Files:

akokin, Feb 25, 2014
  13. akokin

AsUpIO.sys 8/2/2010 (Asus utility for hardware monitoring of some sort)
    Code:
    BugCheck C4, {f6, 1a0, ffffe00007c104c0, fffff80001f62766}
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AsUpIO.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AsUpIO.sys
    Probably caused by : AsUpIO.sys ( AsUpIO+1766 )

PROCESS_NAME: PEUpdater.exe the executable that I believe is calling the above driver. As I mentioned in my initial post some of these ASUS utilities can produce some very strange behavior. You may consider uninstalling at least for the time being and see if the machine stabilizes.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 25, 2014
  14. akokin

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,
    How did you go with your problem?
    Did you need any further help? Or did find another solution?

Shintaro, Apr 23, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question