Will you still use another AV?

Discussion in 'Security' started by lucasbytegenius, Oct 6, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

With Windows 8's inclusion of Microsoft Security Essentials as Windows Defender, will you still use another AV?

I really dislike McAffee, Norton, and AVG, so I hope end users who don't know much about it won't install that horrendous crap.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Yes.

Core, Oct 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

Ian Administrator

Yep, as much as I like MSE and think it works well for most people, I prefer something that allows me to tweak it a little more. I'm currently using KIS 2013 and like it, although once my subscription expires I'll see what alternatives are out there (perhaps ESET).

Ian, Oct 9, 2012
  4. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

KIS = Kaspersky? Heard some good things about that and ESET. I prefer free stuff however, being the poor teenager I am, lol.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 11, 2012
  5. lucasbytegenius

zacker150

If you can't afford it, then you should wait until Black Friday or some other big sale and drop by Office Depot or fry's. Generally, you'll be able to find a AV that is free after manufacturer mail in rebate, or if you're lucky, even free off the shelf. The only downside is that you can't be stingy on which program you chose, but that's a fairly decent trade off considering that you are getting 100 dollar internet security suits for free.

Oh and while you wait, you can repeatedly get free trial licenses for ESET here:http://www.esetindia.com/activation/free-trial-license-generation/

zacker150, Oct 14, 2012
  6. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I still think MSE is enough for me. I don't want to have to pay for AV personally when there's free options available that work just as well.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 19, 2012
  7. lucasbytegenius

Guardian

Microsoft has proven that security is not their strong suit. I plan to continue using Symantec, which has served me well in the past. I don't trust Microsoft's attempt at AV yet, and may not for the foreseeable future. Microsoft has a lot of work to do in my opinion, and ESPECIALLY in their first iteration of it, I won't touch it.

Guardian, Nov 3, 2012
  8. lucasbytegenius

Victor Leigh

If you are looking for a free AV, you can try ClamAV. I am using it on my Linux and it seems alright, although I haven't really seen it in action since I haven't seen any viruses on my Linux. I think the version for Windows is ClamWin.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  9. lucasbytegenius

TheMightyEddy

Wow mate, you sound so stubborn. If anything, try to make an AV yourself.

TheMightyEddy, Nov 4, 2012
  10. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Stubborn, or smart from experiences with the software? idk.

Anyway, I can't make an AV, but I can criticize what's out there.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 7, 2012
    Guardian likes this.
  11. lucasbytegenius

Victor Leigh

Well, looks like you are stuck where the rest us are then. Most, if not all of us, are not in a position to write our own AV, so we just have to make do with whatever is available. Then curse at it when it doesn't do what it claims to do.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
  12. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Yes that's true. I haven't had to curse at Microsoft Security Essentials though.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 8, 2012
  13. lucasbytegenius

Victor Leigh

Oh really? Is the Microsoft Security Essentials really that good? Surely it cannot catch everything. How about telling us about some of the things which Microsoft Security Essentials cannot do so that we can be aware of its limitations?

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
  14. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

MSE has completely dropped the ball and missed an infection twice on my system, but that was the older version. It's supposedly good now. I still don't trust it entirely, but for most users it's probably just fine.

Core, Nov 9, 2012
    Guardian likes this.
  15. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

I don't like defender, never have. On low ram systems it uses far too much.

I will stick with AVG. Have used it for years with no problems whatsoever.

jubbly, Nov 14, 2012
  16. lucasbytegenius

Mirageboss

I recently started using ESET NOD32. Great piece of software!

Mirageboss, Nov 15, 2012
  17. lucasbytegenius

EmoPopsicle

Yeah, I just ordered Kaspersky 2013 for my new installation of Windows 8. These days, firewall just doesn't cut it, especially Windows firewall. An anti-virus with real-time protection is a must - you never know when a malicious ad might just popup and silently install malware that steals all your data without your knowledge.

EmoPopsicle, Nov 16, 2012
  18. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

Buying a paid antivirus is like buying snakeoil.

I will use McAfee if it is free from my ISP but no way would I ever pay for it.

jubbly, Nov 16, 2012
  19. lucasbytegenius

MisterRay97

Windows 8 has a pre-installed Microsoft Security Essentials re-branded as Windows Defender. It's a really great product. I'd never buy an antivirus in my life, due to their high cost and various factors. I personally hate Norton, Kaspersky, etc. Even if I'd install a third-party antivirus, it would be a free edition, and I feel Windows Defender is far better than these free antivirus software and integrates seamlessly with Windows. Windows Defender detected many viruses (mostly false positives) and it also detected a RAT! So I would stick with my Windows Defender. :)

MisterRay97, Mar 24, 2013
  20. lucasbytegenius

Victor Leigh

No, I am fine with what comes bundled with Windows 8. Strangely I haven't seen any viruses lately. Not that I am wishing for some. It's just that before, I used to get infected every month despite having an array of anti-virus programs.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question