Wi-Fi Not Connecting to an Open Signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MyDigitalpoint, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Well I'm visiting my sister and having to connect to her Internet connection I found myself having a connectivity problem that I don't understand.

She has an Arris modem with no password so the neighbors can also connect. I used to come here to visit her and never had connectivity issues despite by bedroom is not physically close to her modem and I used to connect to her service with my old laptop, a Dell Latitude with a Broadcoam Wi-Fi card and Windows XP.

Now I have an HP laptop with a Ralink RT5390 Wi-Fi card and Windows 8, but while I can see the Arris connection, when I try to connect I get a message saying that it's taking too long and that it cannot connect then.

Signal strength is the same detected by the old Dell, so I don't understand why I was able to connect with the other computer with outdated specs and cannot do it with this which is supposed to be better that the other from any perspective.

I had to connect to her secondary encrypted connection to gain access to the Internet, but would like to know if someone can figure out why I cannot connect to open connections using Windows 8?

I tried to connect to my cousin's open connection too, and happened the same.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

Have you tried running the troubleshooting wizard?

airplayne, Dec 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Yes, and it works with the encrypted connections, but not with those that are open.

The wizard says to be unable to do anything about :eek:

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 5, 2013
  4. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

Personally, I would stick with connecting via the encrypted option, that way you can reduce the possibility of someone gaining access to your computer, even if you do have an onboard firewall.

airplayne, Dec 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question