Who modifies the OS to their liking?

Discussion in 'Customization' started by crazycroc, May 14, 2013.

1. crazycroc

crazycroc

I remember a few years ago I would always spend a few hours tweaking Windows to exactly how I liked it. Nowadays I simply cannot be bothered with installing custom explorer skins or changing the context menu order. Maybe its me or maybe its the fact that programs tend to install less crap alongside themselves than they used to.

crazycroc, May 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. crazycroc

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

If I wanted to customize the hell out of my OS, I'd run Linux. Seriously. I love(d) how customizable GNOME 2 was. I wouldn't run all kinds of skinning software to make Windows prettier... I've done that before, in the XP days, but it was a short-lived experiment for me. I understand the desire to change things up every now and then, but what's far more important for me is that the operating system is flexible enough to adjust to how I like to work, instead of telling me how to do it its way. I would still tinker with Linux to accomplish that kind of freedom, but since other options exist which are fluid enough, I don't need to.

Core, May 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. crazycroc

TheYonderGod

I love customizing my OS, but I don't like to re-do everything every time I reinstall so I used Se7en Lite to make a custom windows installer with all my modifications preset, it's pretty awesome, I can reinstall Windows every couple months to keep it fresh and it only takes me like 20 minutes :)

TheYonderGod, Jun 3, 2013
  4. crazycroc

airplayne

I never felt the desire to customize Windows other than to find a good background. I really like the new functionality that came with W7 that was carried over to W8 where you could load multiple backgrounds that the OS can rotate through.

airplayne, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question