Where have all my programs gone?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by jubbly, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

I have upgraded my Compaq laptop running Vista to Windows 8.

Things went fine in terms of drivers and settings and my personal files but it seems all my installed programs are gone. The installer didn't say they were incompatible.

The programs involved are a varied range of programs such as Imgburn, Nero, PowerArchiver, UltraIso, Adobe Reader XI etc etc

They were on my vista desktop and now they are gone.

jubbly, Jan 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

What do you mean desktop? Are the programs gone or just the shortcuts?

Core, Jan 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

jubbly

The programs are gone. The program files folder in the c drive has hardly anything in it. Not even the proprietary HP software that came with the laptop survived.

jubbly, Jan 30, 2013
  4. jubbly

Kougar Moderator

What version of Vista what this, specifically did it have any service packs installed?

Are your personal files still intact (videos, documents, etc)? If not then it sounds like you did a normal upgrade install instead of an in-place migration. Unfortunately this isn't reversible and you will need to reinstall the programs if so.

Kougar, Jan 31, 2013
  5. jubbly

jubbly

It was Vista Home Premium and I am sure it had at least service pack 1.

No real harm done as my files are all still there. Just a bit time consuming to find all the programs again and reinstall them.

I have no idea of the difference between a migration and an install.

jubbly, Feb 2, 2013
  6. jubbly

Kougar Moderator

I asked because Windows Vista (without service pack 1) could not be migrated over to Windows 8, it required a fresh install to make the upgrade.

To try and make the distinction less confusing for ya, this page explains what the key differences are between a migration, upgrade, and clean install: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/windows-8-tip-upgrade-windows-7-144322 Generally, to do an in-place upgrade which is what you wanted, you need to start the DVD installer from inside the OS you will be upgrading from to be given this option.

Kougar, Feb 7, 2013
  7. jubbly

jubbly

I did start the upgrade from within vista. I did exactly the same as when I upgraded my XP machine to windows 8.

On the XP machine all my programs stayed but on the Vista one they were lost.

jubbly, Feb 7, 2013
  8. jubbly

Jacknot3d

Check the C: Hard Drive and see if there is any type of folder named WindowsVista.old...
    When I installed windows 8 i had the windows7.old folder which i deleted it after I got the most important files out of there.

Jacknot3d, Mar 30, 2013
  9. jubbly

Andrew010

As Kougar said, you can't upgrade to Windows 8 if your OS is too old. If you're lucky you may find a folder with your files or use a third party software to get back the important files.

Andrew010, Apr 1, 2013
  10. jubbly

dash57

Go to my computer, double click C drive and windows old and what ever name you had on your old operating system for your programs, they should be there.

dash57, Apr 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question