Where Does Windows 8.1 Store Program Install History?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carmine, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Carmine

Carmine

I am having problems with re-installing software for my printer. I am running Windows 8.1 from a SSD. To save space I installed HP's all-in-one software on my D: drive. My D:drive died. I could recover no data so I simply replaced it and started rebuilding. When attempting to re-install the HP software I get the message that the software is already installed on my D:/Program Files (x86) and will up update it with a newer version if necessary. The install program gives me no way to redirect the install. If I continue it appears to install the printer and everything but will not complete. It spins in an endless loop. I have to either reboot or use task manager to exit. The resulting install (non-install) shows nothing in D: and some HP files in C:. To try to fix I have removed all evidence of HP files in C: and all I can find in the registry. Nothing works. There is obviously some history stored somewhere of the original instillation. Where is that history stored and can it be deleted or redirected?
    thanks for any suggestions.

Carmine, Apr 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Carmine

Shintaro Moderator

You could try running the Free version of CCleaner. And let it clear out any old references to non-existent files/directories.

Shintaro, Apr 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Carmine

martinp

I recognize your post is from April, 2014. Nevertheless. you did check Programs and Features in the Control Panel, to see if any HP print software is still shown as installed on your working PC? If so, you need to uninstall it and reboot (for good luck). I believe MS includes many HP drivers and printer info within W8 and W8.1. Do you think you may have removed something from the windows registry that did not need to be removed? I do not know if a Refresh would rebuild your registry or not....? You might consider the following:

* dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    * sfc /scannow
    "We’re aware of an issue impacting some Windows 8 customers trying to run the sfc /scannow command after installing KB2821895, where customers using the System File Checker receive an error message that there are corrupt files and that the system requires a restart to repair the files.
    To work around this issue:
    · Open an elevated command window
    · Run the command> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and wait for this command to complete.
    · Run the sfc /scannow again, until the command completes and reports that there is no corruption.
    If you still get an SFC error that there is corruption, you should contact technical support for further assistance as your system may have actual corruption. MS Support"
    ""

martinp, Sep 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question