What's your favorite part of Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cluckis, May 5, 2012.

1. cluckis

cluckis

I would have to say mine is the Start Screen instead of a menu. It looks clearer to me, and more modern. Also, the opening of apps from the Start Screen is pretty fast (for me).

What's your favorite?

cluckis, May 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. cluckis

brkkab123

Personally as a desktop pc user, I haven't truly seen anything worth upgrading. The having to purchase Windows 8 Pro and then spend more money to get dvd/blu-ray playback and the same of Windows Media Center that I've already purchased when upgrading to Windows 7 is a huge deal breaker. As is a non-upgraded version of Windows Media Player and the fact that Microsoft is trying to bring pc gaming down to console gaming's LOW standards.I'vr gone since 1995 without ever needing to use or purchase a notebook pc. I mean if anyone in the U.S. is traveling for non-business a notebook, netbook, smartphone, tablet and ultrabook are truly unneccessary. Pretty much 90+% of households have a pc, as do all libraries. As far as touch-screen anything, sorry but I don't see the need to purchase something that I'll have to clean smudges from fingerprints 50+ times daily. As far as the restore to installation defaults. Given the choice of restoring a system image with all my previous app's and their setting's intact or having to start all over again and spend days getting my pc back to my liking's. I don't see a benefit in wasting day's doing something I've already done. The Metro Start Screen need's some work done to improve it. Here's a smart move Microsoft could make, but won't ever do. Keep the Metro app's on Metro's Start Screen and put the Start Menu back in the Desktop and put all non-Metro app's there only. The way Metro's Start Screen is after your software is installed is unneccarily crowded, idiotic looking, as non-Metro app's don't look the same as the Metro app's do. Then there's the fact that out the gate, instead of the Start screen either alphabetizing or putting the same types of app's together on the Start screen after they're installed is kindergartenish looking, to be technical.

brkkab123, May 6, 2012
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. cluckis

brkkab123

As far as it being faster, considering my pc has a ssd, as 1-2 second startup and shutdown time won't be recognizable to anyone without some sort of stopwatch. Yet certain unneccessary extra steps for a non-tablet user, slows down any productivity. The lock screen and having to flick a finger or tap your keyboard to get to the login screen is a unneccessary waste of time. Then if your pc, etc. is set up with your Windows Live ID your email address is in paain site, if your pc get's stolen. Sorry, but that's a hige security issue, especially considering most hackers have the tools to crack most people's password's and in some cases encryption, too. Here's another issue with Windows 8 using your Live ID for your account, is Windows Easy Transfer or any of the 2rd party app's that transfer your files and settings from your old pc to a new one going to be smart enough to figure this Windows XP, Vista or 7 user, is this Windows 8 user and that's where to move there files and setting's to. l,

brkkab123, May 6, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  4. cluckis

LosAngelesLover

It's smoother to run, and games seem to look better on it, for some reason.

LosAngelesLover, May 6, 2012
  5. cluckis

Victor Leigh

I like the start screen. It's not exactly a new concept to me because I use that in Opera as a speed dial function. I like the way that I can get what I want without precision mouse work.

Victor Leigh, May 7, 2012
  6. cluckis

ken9545

I have been an faithful Windows user sinse "95", that's Windows 95 not the year
    I installed windows 8 on a seperate partition and dual boot
    I have been trying to use, thats use windows 8, not play on it for a few weeks
    IE:
    No favorites menue
    Therefore cannot create and back up custom favorite folders to organise and save favorites
    Cannot get IE to open in a "home page" only last sites, laste sites down side of screen, wasting space, cannot shut this off, I do not want all last visited sites on my desktop,
    I want a favorites menue with the ability to customise it and back it up
    Windows Mail:
    Not pop or imap compatable
    Cannot add the vast majority of my contacts
    Cannot make custom mail folders to organise my e-mail and back them up
    Cannot customise font, etc, etc, etc
    Metro:
    Cannot customise the Metro UI, that being you cannot make custom tiles or custom folders
    I do not face book or tweet, I do not own a touchpad or a so-called smart phone, I have a stupid phone and like it
    The Metro UI is geared 100% toward so-called "social networking", entertainment and selling "apps" not productivity
    The so-called "7" UI is not the 7 UI
    No "start menue", no easy access to "all programs", no easy access to anything on a desktop computer including rebooting or shutting down
    The constant jumping back and forth between the 7 and Metro UI is nothing short of crazy
    Why should I remember or have a list of K/B shortcuts when icons are twise as fast, using search to find installed programs is crazy
    Windows 8 was designed from the ground up for mobile devices not powerfull desktop machines that have PSU's, MOBO's, GPU's, HD's and large HD monitors
    Try leaving a desktop PC with a 1,500 wat PSU on all the time like a phone
    Touch screens are fun, you cannot work on them, try typing 50/70 words per minute, reaching accross your work space and typing on a vertical touch surface for 8 hours a day, your arms would fall of
    Try gaming on a vertical touch surface
    Work and fine precise movements require a keyboard and mouse
    The so-called "7" UI seems like a "app" to Metro, an add-on, an afterthought and a very poor afterthought at that
    The Metro UI on a large HD monitor is gouch, gaudy, unprofessional and childlike as someone said, designed by fisher price, sadd
    Desktop computers have programs by the way, not "apps"
    Unless a person has a need for second by second, 24/7 social networking, the Metro UI on a desktop is useless
    What I like about Windows 8
    I have removed it from my boot menue
    Ken

ken9545, May 8, 2012
  7. cluckis

davehc

Could be a long answer to your post but, briefly, perhaps you should examine forum posts and resolve some of the problems you are experiencing.
    !. the "Metro" IE is difficult to grasp, but the ols desktop IE is available, with full favorites and other points you are accustomed too.
    2. As point 1. The home page can be set in the usual way, with the desktop IE.
    3. Not sure how you got Windows mail to work? It hasn't been available by default - that is without a hack - since Vista. Thunderbird, a third party Mail server, might suit you better if you are moving from Windows 95, but Windows Live mail is the new Microsoft mail server, which has to be downloaded and installed. Both are compatible with pop and imap. The "Metro" mail is giving problems to many, but another member may be able to sort that out for you - I haven't tried it.
    4. You can see, at a glance through this and other forums, that the lack of customisation in Metro is a large cause for comment. This is not yet even at Beta stage, so all have hopes of an improvement.
    5. By the "7" UI I guess you mean the desktop? At this stage, it is an inaccurate description, as it lacks the one and only feature - the Start menu. But, poor compromise I know, there are several third party programs out already that can replace this 100%.
    6. There is no doubt that the Metro is aimed towards touchscreens. I don't think I can agree with you that it has any marked leaning towards"social networking". The purchase of "apps" is your choice. The offers have always been there but have just been made a visibly feature, rather than something one must google for.
    7. You can set up as many icons as you wish, through the use of the desktop, if that is your preference (It is mine). There is no need, if you do not like it, to "jump back and forth" between the Metro and desktop. But, if it hasn't occurred to you, that is precisely what the Metro screen is - a bunch of icon shortcuts!
    8. One of the boasted features of Windows 8 is it's low use of resources. On my own tests, this is not a remarkable improvement but is a fact. No real need for any advanced hardware improvements/purchases. Microsoft have never made this a secret.
    9."Try leaving a desktop PC with a 1,500 watt PSU on all the time like a phone" Not sure on that one. My computer, with internet telephone, is on all the time with a 500 watt power supply.
    10. I don't think that touch screens were ever, or will ever, be considered as an ideal typing surface.
    11. I don't do a lot of gaming but, of course, the option is always there to use the good old mouse.
    12. From the dictionary, (perhaps you splitting hairs on that one?) "An application program (sometimes shortened to application) is any program designed to perform a specific function directly for the user or, in some cases, for another application program. Examples of application programs include word processors; database programs; Web browsers; development tools; drawing, paint, and image editing programs; and communication programs."

But, may I recommend, in view of you strong feelings concerning Windows 8, that you move on to XP - an excellent OS.

davehc, May 8, 2012
    clifford likes this.
  8. cluckis

davehc

Reading through my previous posts, it does look like I am be categorised as a Microsoft "fanboy". Far from it! I criticise where it fits. I have just, for example, posted this elswhere, where it is very visible for anyone related to MS to read.:

"The "brains" of Microsoft do so often fail. Maybe it has grown so large, that the left hand has become separated from the right hand.
    The most boastful feature, and possibly the only one of consequence, when you consider the forum feedback so far, was the Metro interface. Forgive me , Microsoft, but if I had been in charge of development, this would have been my priority, before launching it on the public, for reaction. Most other parts of the OS are good enough, and not so different from Windows 7, in the final analysis. But the Metro should have been, at this stage, totally customisable and, at this stage, with a quick switch alternative desktop/start menu. I am certain that, had that been done, members of forums worldwide, would be falling over their posts with joy."

davehc, May 8, 2012
  9. cluckis

ken9545

Hi, Ken here
    Your points
    I assume we can agree that Windows 8 is being touted as a dual O/S, desktop and mobile, functioning equally well on both
    I assume we can also agree that the Metro UI is the "default" UI in Windows 8,
    Yet, in points 1, 2 and 7 you suggest using the 7/desktop UI [the non-default UI] in order to get a desktop PC to function as a " traditional desktop"
    I simply think it should be the other way around when Windows 8 is installed on a desktop/laptop PC
    I believe you have made my point
    3. Iam well aware that a third party e-mal program is required with Windows 7, as you suggested live essentials including live mail or Windows Mail is my default
    You must have missed Microsofts announcement, they are killing live essentials including windows mail when 8 launches, I do not likeThunderbird and will never use another competetor due to possable "data mining"
    4. We are aggreed, saddly M/S has made it clear that the Windows 8 "core" will not be changed, tweaks only
    5. You suggest buying/upgrading to Windows 8 and then immediately "hack" it to get it to function as a "traditional" desktop, again you have made my point
    8. We are agreed, many power users who are not concerned with power usage [gamers, extreme multaskers with powerful machines] believe that to mean "dumbed down" as compared the real Windows 7
    9. Simple, my machine is obviously using 3 times the power yours is and I would like to be able to shut it off through the O/S without jumping through hoops
    10. We are agreed, if you interchange typing for "work" why is an O/S designed for touch screens the default on a desktop/laptop ?
    11. I mean no disrespect, I knew you were not a gamer/power user, multitasker when you mentioned your 500 wat power supply, you have inadvertantly made the very best point I have seen on any blog by anyone about Windows 8
    Gamers use Windows, real desktop Windows, designed for desktops/laptops be it 7, XP even Vista, especially the 64 bit versions for large ram, games are not "readily" available for any other O/S although there are third party programs and tweaks available but not the same in my opinion
    Gamers/multitaskers also "tweak" their machines contantly, requiring "Admin" tools to be readily available, like maybe a start button and easy shut off capability so they are not burning up multi thousand dollar machines and parts
    12. We are both splitting hairs, an "app." to me is small with a footprint in megs of space and using less power making it mobile as compared to a program which may use multi "gigs" of space and uses more power for desktops
    I will ignore your closing comment
    You are entitled to your opinion without disrepect or negative jabs
    Desktop/laptop users have an O/S "designed" for those devices in Windows 7
    I continue to believe that unlkess a person uses their desktop/laptop primarily for social networking, entertainment and surfing the net, then Windows 8 is of no use
    Given the glaring differences between the advertising hype and the reality of Windows 8, desktop users feel betrayed
    Ken

ken9545, May 11, 2012
  10. cluckis

davehc

It was not my inention to exchange blows with you!
    It did appear that you had not really examined Windows 8, or looked at the possibilities offered by suggestions in this forum and others. I worked through you points of critism, in order to clarify them.
    IMHO, Windows 8, with the emphasis on the touchscreen, has , since its conception, been planned for the variety of hand-helds, as that is where the competition is currently. I did blog this more than a year ago on another forum. Its use on a stationery, seems to be an afterthought - most particularly the touchscreen issue.
    fwiw. No. I didnt. miss the MS blog, concerning the "dropping" of Live essentials. My post was actually mad a couple of days before the blog. I still have reason to speculate on the statement. Live essential, and particualrly Live mail, are now used by thousands. Whether or not the jury is out on Metro and Windows 8, there is no reasion why one should not contiue to install non metro, and third party software, if that is their desire. I understand the main reason for the statement in the blog is that it is the intention to drive users onto "cloud". Personally, that is a path I will never be taking.
    "You suggest buying/upgrading to Windows 8 and then immediately "hack" it to get it to function as a "traditional" desktop, again you have made my point" ? I did? Where was that. I have, howeveer, suggested help to those who would prefer to try Windows 8, but still wish to stay with the old traditions.
    No need to jump through the hoop to switch off. Shortcuts can be set, for single touch, or, better, you can, if you have set it as such, just hold the power button in. - Nothing quicker than that.
    I don't think there is much to remark on, concerning the power.. As I hinted, I was'nt quite clear on your statement about leaving it on with a 1500 watt power supply (and still so). The point I rather badly worded was that, whatever the power requiement, in the course of my regular use, my computer would be on all the time.
    I did not mean the move to XP as sarcasm. I misread your opening remark too hastily and assumed you were still using, and happy as a preference, with 95! - lol.

davehc, May 11, 2012
  11. cluckis

Dipsy

Others have pretty much summed up my impressions of Win 8. I have found nothing at all that gets me excited enough to upgrade from Win7. I have jumped on upgrades since Win 3.1 but Windows 8 has not tickled that "gotta have" nerve.

Dipsy, May 15, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  12. cluckis

LosAngelesLover

I'll upgrade to Windows 8, but only because of the software that it will be able to hold now. I just hope I get used to the Metro setting.

LosAngelesLover, May 31, 2012
  13. cluckis

Octagon

My favorite is the set of the over the board improvements to the OS, from the font rendering to the multimedia subsystem.

The second place goes to the Metro subsystem as a whole. It feels like the old DOS + Side Kick combo. In both cases the idea is to make simple, occasional, ad-hoc and such things brain dead simple. Let me emphasize that. Brain dead simple for that which can be done so is much, much better than any plain vanilla simple.

The third place goes to the Start Screen. My favorite feature is that I can do anything there and the system still remembers what shortcuts it has created, so no irreversible damage can be done.

Octagon, Jun 17, 2012
  14. cluckis

Michael Phan

My favorite part would be the start menu because its so simple and sleek. The design makes the experience so different. I like the Metro style instead of lists because its easier to select. The visuals are great.

Michael Phan, Jun 24, 2012
  15. cluckis

Ian Administrator

It's just a small thing, but I'm really fond of some of the new task manager features - it's much easier to diagnose and troubleshoot some basic problems thanks to that.

Ian, Jul 15, 2012
  16. cluckis

Jake Horsfield

My number one favorite thing would have to be the start menu, in my opinion it looks MUCH better than the previous menu, it is very simple, modern looking and sleek.

My second is the overall speed improvements on Windows 8. For me, Windows 8 makes using a PC much more enjoyable and more efficient.

My third is that games run better on Windows 8, this must be to do with the speed improvements I mentioned earlier.

Jake Horsfield, Jul 24, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  17. cluckis

humpdebump

well I still haven't tried any games on it, but I like whole "metro" system, everything what I might need in one place, so I don't need to go through my whole pc to find something.

humpdebump, Aug 12, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  18. cluckis

Lori Morrison

Personally I like that Dashboard page most or can say the Screen where Installed Apps are visible. It really looks good. I used that Fhotoroom App, in it is really awesome and I don;'t need to install Photoshop for simple editing. I just saw this link and thought it really provides some good stuff, which is helpful for most of the photographers.

Lori Morrison, Jan 8, 2014
  19. cluckis

davehc

Welcome to the forum, Lori. Glad you like the Apps view. Just needs a bit of getting used to a new view.

davehc, Jan 8, 2014
  20. cluckis

davehc

Welcome back, humpdebump. Hope you will stay with us this time around?

davehc, Jan 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question