What's the "big update" coming next year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lucasbytegenius, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I heard about some major update planned for Windows 8 in the middle of next year that would fix any issues people had with Windows 8 and bring some good changes.

I can't find out what the update is all about though, anybody got any ideas?

lucasbytegenius, Oct 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

NickJ

Gotta feel sorry for the folks buying Windows 8 right now. It's always smarter to wait until the like 40 or so updates are released. And then the OS in its full and safe glory can be purchased and used without any problems.

NickJ, Oct 25, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

What problems are there right now, though? I'm not saying problems won't come out in the future, but from my use of Windows 8 it's been pretty good. Also, now is the best time to buy Windows 8 since there's a promotion where you can get it for $40 until January 31st.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 27, 2012
  4. lucasbytegenius

Matty

I've been running it since RP came out and really only had a problem with 1 app, which the authors sent me a new compatible version of 3 days later.

The new start screen is hard to get used to, especially when running games, but I've found very few problems so far, and I assume the full release version will be even stable.

Matty, Oct 30, 2012
    lucasbytegenius likes this.
  5. lucasbytegenius

NickJ

No one really knows all the bugs. They seem to just "surface". It'll be out for awhile and then someone will run into a bug or malfunction. Then it becomes big news and a patch is released. It's best to wait until all of these possible issues dissipate on their own. Buying too early could mean downloading patches every few months.

NickJ, Oct 30, 2012
  6. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Well as Matty said, it seems like Windows 8 doesn't have any really major bugs. I haven't heard of any or seen any during my testing.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 31, 2012
  7. lucasbytegenius

Matty

This really just seems to be a redesign of Windows 7, an updated UI, not a whole lot of amazingly new stuff. I guess apps through the store are a new risk though. I'm concerned about my email being connected too directly to my windows account for privacy reasons. I'm not sure how much of that info can be gotten and how easily.

The guts of it shouldn't really have too many more problems than Windows 7 in my (often overly simplified) view.

Matty, Oct 31, 2012
  8. lucasbytegenius

NickJ

I'm sure they'll come up with something to rectify your email concerns. But that does sound a bit sketchy. Then again, if you have proper security, you shouldn't worry about other folks accessing your email.

NickJ, Nov 2, 2012
  9. lucasbytegenius

Matty

My concerns could be totally unjustified, I've just really not been bothered to look into it yet. It's also more privacy reasons I'm concerned about, I'm confident no one will be getting into my email address.

Matty, Nov 3, 2012
  10. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

Normally I would agree with you and I would not have bothered with Windows 8 until it was a more mature platform.

However, when I saw I could upgrade my old windows xp machine to Windows 8 Pro with media centre for just £24.99 then I just had to do it. Considering support for xp will stop in 2014, it is an absolute bargain and I am sure many people have bitten MS's hand off.

I can cope with a few bugs at that price.

I look forward to the big update though.

jubbly, Nov 4, 2012
  11. lucasbytegenius

Victor Leigh

There will always be bugs. And there will always be updates to fix those bugs. So in the meantime, I am going to use Windows 8 and make do with what I have. So far it has been doing what I want to do with it.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  12. lucasbytegenius

NickJ

Support for XP? You mean there are still people out there who need to call up Microsoft to figure out how Windows Xp works?

NickJ, Nov 6, 2012
  13. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

No! Support for xp means security fixes and updates.

In 2014 MS will no longer produce updates for xp and therefore security wise it will be no longer a good idea to use it. Just like Windows 98 is no longer supported now.

jubbly, Nov 9, 2012
  14. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Personally I'm glad Microsoft is dropping XP soon, way too old by now.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 13, 2012
  15. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

By the time they stop supporting it, it will have been around 13 years. Longest of any operating system. It is old but it still works fine. I think microsoft are going to have a job convincing some people to switch. Many people love their xp and have known nothing else for the last 11 years.

jubbly, Nov 14, 2012
  16. lucasbytegenius

tanzanos

The wheel has been around for many years. It is about time we discarded it for something totally new. Anyone who does not like change then let him remain with the older round wheel and the rest of the progressive people will move forward with the new SQUARE wheel. This new square wheel has the most advanced shock absorbing system ever and above all does not require the use of a parking brake.

The Windows OS has been around for many years. It is about time we discarded it for something totally new. Anyone who does not like change then let him remain with the older windows OSs and the rest of the progressive people will move forward with the new windows 8. This new windows 8 has the most advanced UI ever and above all does not require the use of a start button.

I think this settles the case of the XP - Win7 VS Win 8 debate! After all Fisher Price designed Win 8 and they should know what kids want. As for the rest of us professional users? Well we could do MS the favour by dying! :)

tanzanos, Nov 15, 2012
  17. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Yeah, way too long for any OS. XP runs ok I agree, but there's already drivers you can't get for it and some games don't like it.
    I laughed so hard reading this post. First of all, if you're going to refer to XP as a wheel, refer to it as a super ancient, cracked wheel that's falling apart. That relates better. Also, Windows 8 designed by Fisher Price?! ROFLMAO OMG THAT'S SO IRONIC. Have you seen XP's theme at all? Like seriously, if anything looks like it's designed by Fisher Price, it's XP.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 15, 2012
  18. lucasbytegenius

EmoPopsicle

IKR! Windows 8 is much simpler, and many people erroneously assume that because it's simpler, it makes the OS suitable for toddlers. They made it much simpler and sleeker just for the sole purpose of decluttering the desktop and getting rid of programs that most people don't use. Majority of the people who own Windows 8 that I've spoken with prefer this a LOT over Windows XP.

EmoPopsicle, Nov 16, 2012
  19. lucasbytegenius

Perbear

You might be thinking along the old lines that Microsoft may be preparing ServicePack 1 for Windows 8. It is debated whether Microsoft will do that anymore or just do what they did the week before general availability - patch the OS. Whether this rumour is true or not, you need to follow those blogs and podcasts, read those trade magazines that you do now and follow the flow of news. IF something big out of the ordinary will occur we will hear it from those look into these things like Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott and the good people over at Twit TV.

Perbear, Nov 16, 2012
  20. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Same, and with Windows 7 too. When it came out a lot of people I know, including myself, finally upgraded after waiting out the Vista fiasco.
    No, there was news about a big update planned for next year, and I doubt it was a service pack, but it's possible.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question