What will it mean when windows stop support for XP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jubbly, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Hope this isn't considered off topic, if it is then please move to off topic discussion.

We hear that xp will no longer be supported after April 2014 and that is actually why I decided to take advantage of the £24.99 upgrade offer.

My question is, in practical terms, what will this mean if people don't switch straight away? XP was the first OS I had so I have not experienced one going out of it's extended support period.

Last I heard, it was still a huge percentage of people using XP. Will, as I suspect, MS decide to extend the support again?

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

davehc

I think you are overoptimistic!
    But, as far as I can surmise, all it will really mean is that you will no longer get updates, nor will you get help from legitimate sources.
    A worst consideration, of course, is that you will not get any updates to hardware and, possibly, software. No respectful software company is going to write software for a redundant OS. On the good side. Nothing changes. You still have all the well established software to play with!

davehc, Jan 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

jubbly

You see, my understanding was that as soon as they cease support, all security updates stop. If that is true then surely the advice would be for noone to use the operating system for any kind of banking/shopping etc.

I raised this issue on my own forum and the response was "we are happy with xp and sticking with it". My concern is that these people are putting themselves at risk.

If the XP usage percentage is still high come April 2014, I would like to think microsoft will reconsider. And either:

A) extend the updates for a few more years

or

B) Offer a free/cheap upgrade to people who still want to stick with XP.

I must say, it is a testament to the XP developers that 12 years after it's release people are so keen to stick with it.

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
  4. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

It means the end of security updates and technical support. Activation will still work.

My theory regarding XP is that most people who still run it are doing so because their hardware is ancient, or they are clinging to an application that hasn't been updated to work with newer Windows versions.

Core, Jan 27, 2013
  5. jubbly

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I agree wholeheartedly! There is really NO reason to be running XP unless the hardware is so antiquated that only XP will run on it.

Nibiru2012, Jan 27, 2013
  6. jubbly

jubbly

I agree but there does seem to be a large group who don't want to switch. Surely MS could at least offer a cheap upgrade to the lowest tier windows 7 for these people.

I can see a backlash.

jubbly, Jan 28, 2013
  7. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

A Windows 8 upgrade offer is more likely.

Core, Jan 28, 2013
  8. jubbly

jubbly

But that would probably force a hardware upgrade with some people, and a bigger backlash.

jubbly, Jan 28, 2013
  9. jubbly

Aditya Kulkarni

XP is still being given support? Didn't really know about that.
    I thought back in 2010 they stopped giving support for Windows XP.

But still, if they will be stopping the support, it is thoroughly because of the popularity index of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Aditya Kulkarni, Feb 1, 2013
  10. jubbly

ChristineBCW

XP still gets WinUpdate attention occasionally. You DO realize that Win98-SE and Win2000 are seldom attacked by hackers, yes? So this too could be the fate of the highly-customizable XP. "No support" will also mean "no attention" from other parties in the world. It won't be all bad!

ChristineBCW, Mar 12, 2013
  11. jubbly

GGovan

Well it's a 10 year old OS.. They already released many OS's after it, so I guess that the upgrade should be obligatory.
    Having a team to code and provide customer service for a 10 year old OS is not viable, especially with this economy.

GGovan, Mar 12, 2013
  12. jubbly

ChristineBCW

I agree with the "paying a team to support" old products isn't economically sensible. We've already seen AV products that don't work well on XP and older progs (Kaspersky 2013 with IE8, for example). This is inevitable, and this is why consumers should consider upgrading or accepting a 'standing pat' position. We still have clients who have productive services on XP that don't run on newer OSs, and those apps aren't going to be upgraded. Rather than waste money "upgrading" and losing productivity, they've made that choice to have more useful applications than a newer, flashier OS screen.

ChristineBCW, Mar 13, 2013
  13. jubbly

Kougar Moderator

Microsoft already extended support once, I doubt they will do so again. There are people that won't leave XP until the hardware dies. OS version depends widely at what user segment you're looking at... businesses have a lot of XP machines laying around that'll get updated after they are replaced, and the lack of security updates will encourage them to finally replace those machines. Gamers on Steam already migrated over, less that 9% of Steam users run XP anymore. Web metrics vary depending on site of course, but still something around two-thirds of visitors typically are on Win 7 generally speaking.

That's technically incorrect. One can install a vanilla XP install with default settings (without SP1) and it would get infected off the internet within five minutes of going online. Pretty sure there are similar issues with even older OS's depending on their patch levels.

Kougar, Mar 18, 2013
    Core likes this.
  14. jubbly

IndiePoster

Well I doubt they will extend support for much longer since XP is getting too out dated and people will eventually jump to Windows 7/8 in the end since it is benefiting having the latest OS in terns of updates so maybe Microsoft will extend their upgrade deal.

IndiePoster, Mar 29, 2013
  15. jubbly

Carly

I would say that there is absolutely no reason to be running windows xp! I have a 1990's ibm thinkpad running windows 8 perfectly fine and the OS upgrade actually made it much faster! If your computer is older than that, it definitely shouldn't be your primary device therefore you wouldn't have to worry about security updates.
    I feel the majority of Windows XP computers are in a business or school setting and are not an individual's personal computing device. These businesses and schools will all reimage their hardware with the new OS once XP loses support to stay on the safe side, but for now, i guess they are just too lazy :p

Carly, Mar 29, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  16. jubbly

mintpp

I'd say this is the final straw for Windows XP and by this time next year all support for it will be gone. I doubt that MS will want to keep those support technicians on their payroll any longer. If they're smart, they'll go track down the guys that developed it and get them to make the next OS because obviously people seemed to really like XP!

mintpp, May 16, 2013
  17. jubbly

themarksquared

Based on the people I know who still use Windows XP, they will not be affected at all by this because almost 90-95 percent of those people use a pirated copy of the said operating system, thus disabling them from receiving official support and updates from Microsoft. To the remaining 5 percent who use a genuine version, I'm sure they'll have no choice but to move on and start using either Windows 7 or Windows 8. I think this will be a good move for Microsoft because it'll give them the opportunity to sell more copies of Windows 8, and thus having a greater percentage in the OS market share.

themarksquared, May 17, 2013
  18. jubbly

jubbly

My wife works in the NHS in a community team and they still use XP. I am surprised such huge organisations are still using it. Vista was introduced in 2006/2007.

There will be tears when they have to switch over. I take it Microsoft will no longer license an unsupported operating system to business and government departments.

jubbly, May 19, 2013
  19. jubbly

inb4

I agree with Core.

Many, many people still run the XP OS as of today, whether it be ran for recreational, personal, or work use.

From my perspective work places that do not have to deal with viruses, malware, or trojan break ins will be fine with the continuous use of XP over the coming years.

But with the evolution of computers and their software in present days, compatibility may also become a problematic obstacle.

inb4, May 19, 2013
  20. jubbly

GuyBall

I can see why people would want to stick to Windows 7, but is there any good reason to stick with XP except having crappy hardware? I couldn't stand Vista and hung on to XP since 7 came along, but is there any reason to just not switch to Windows 7 at least?

Either way, people with ancient hardware running ancient software could still obviously stick to XP with an AV on top. Should function as good as it used to for them as long as the hardware holds up.

GuyBall, May 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question